1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spend My Money

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by River Hill, Oct 21, 2003.

1. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

I currently have a 2003 F350 Crew Cab with a 8'bed. I have a Western Ultramount V Plow and a Western ProFlo spreader with a hitch mount. I love this truck, but it's a real pain in the rear with it's large turning radius.

I am thinking of purchasing a standard cab F550. What size wheelbase would you get? I am thinking about a 8' V Box. I think I would like to put a Blizzard 8611 on this truck. I just don't know how the tuning will be compared to my F350. I do want something that has a very tight radius after moving that crew cab with a 8' bed around. What V box would you buy as well?

If it was your money what would you buy and how would you setup this truck? There are still a couple 7.3 diesels arould my area. This is why I am considering this.

Have fun spending my money.

2. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

The F-550 would probelly be a little better than your current truck ,but would probelly be a pain if you are plowing in tight areas.A 8611 blizzard is a good choise and I would put central hydros with ethier a undertailgate spreader if its a dump or a big hydro powered V-box.I would definally get a diesel and a auto.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Just like he said above.Central hydaulics,and an under tailgate spreader to go along with the Blizzard.

Try to get shortest wheelbase you can find and still have enough cab to axle distance to install the dump box (or even a v-box) that you want to run.

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Hey just give me the truck and checkbook with at least 20K and I will go shopping for you.:D And your 550 will be the envy of all the plow rig out there lol.

5. a palustris

a palustris Member

If turning radius is a big issue for you, check out a Mitsubishi Fuso FG. It has the 4x4. It can hold a good size plow, and hold a spreader in the back. Typical dump bed length is 10' and some people get tool boxes between the cab and dump bed. With that setup you will get a LOT better turning ability than your pick-up. You would be able to carry more volume wise than an F550 too.

6. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Last i heard the gvw of a mitsu. 4x4 was only around 14-15k gvw. an F550 4wd is 17,500. With a 10' body, you could carry more in volume, but not legally.

Pelican and 99SDPSD both have F550 dumps, so they might be able to give you more insight on wheelbases.

As far as spreaders, depends if you're looking for a gas, electric or hydraulic powered unit. Most are similar, some have feature such as swing chutes while others don't. Look for a stainless if you plan on keeping this spreader for more than 5 years. It seems even if you wash them, the steel spreaders still seem to rust badly.

If iwas to get an F550, i'd get a twin to pelicans snowfighter package. The truck has an all seasons body, which is stainless. It has central hydro's that power the dump,plow and spreader and the wheelbase is probably a lot shorter than a crew cab 8' bed F350.

Bryan

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

cat, you'll need about $25k!:D

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Pelican I didn't want to scare him to much that $20K was just a starting point. :D

9. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I don't know much about the larger equipment, but I can tell you my new 04' F-250 w/6.0 powerstroke, which by the way is only 15 days old and has 1100mi:realmad: :D , so far is one hell of a truck. Good luck with what you decide.

P.S any picts of the current truck sounds nice!

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Just saw an '04 f350 4x4 6.0/auto xlt with stainless crysteel 9' dump for $36K+ at a show in boston

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

saw the same truck today, that price for the truck was c&c only, SS body was another 6K, it was set up with a SS smith spreader and 9' SS x blade. It all looked nice together.
    Dino