1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spend $ for new Boss V controller

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Yardworks, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I just wanted to say if anyone is still using the old (3) switch controller for a Boss V-plow I would recommend spending about $200.00 for the joystick control. I purchased one for this season and have used it for three plowings. It is very nice. I was pretty good at using the switches, but after plowing a long time it was easy to screw up. I didn't think these minor adjustment glitches added up to much time loss until I started using the joystick. For example, last year I plowed a townhouse complex of 11 access roads and 56 small driveways in about four hours. This year they have grown to 16 access roads and 80 small driveways. The first storm this year I did in under 4 hours, with comparable snow depth. Thats a lot of extra driveways in less time.

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Old habits die hard..... I've had the triple switch since I bought my first Boss, and probably won't give it up until the ol' Ford goes out to pasture.

3. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I have both and I hate the joystick,it has a tendence to multifunction to often for my liking.I have rotated the swich pads on all my plows so that the wing switches point so that the wing does what the switch action is.This makes the switches easier to operate.

4. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

What you need is 2 Meyer "slick-stik" you can run all your funtions INCLUDING back plow (standard back plow) all on just 2 switches.

You can work them in your sleep.

Total cost: $80.00.

5. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

No thanks like the switches we have they are simple and easy to fix.

6. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Don't tell me you're still using the rocker switches.

7. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Boss had two choices Switches or joy stick,all of my plows but two were purchased prior to the joystick and after owning the joystick I opted to go back to the switch on the last plow because the stick is junk and I really truly like the switches better than any other system out there.

8. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

That's cuz you haven't used slick-stiks. ;)

9. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Tell me why I would spend money to fix some thing that isn't broke.I'm an equipment operator by trade and I am very picky about my equipment controls and the switches are just great and I like them.And if I have to switch 8 trucks thats more than I'm willing spend for no return.

10. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I'm with Digger on this one.

11. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

That's exactly what I said when I used to run all Meyers and some darrel wanted to sell me a some newly fanagled Boss V-plow back in the 80's.

I'm not suggesting switching, I'm just telling what's out there.

12. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Lazer-

Where do you buy the slick sticks, and how tough is the wiring? My brother Darrel and my other brother Darrel are interested in trying them.

13. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

I think it was J Thomas. Local Meyer dealers have them, too.

They're in the $35 range.

I don't personally do the wiring. I think it takes about an hour depending where you're wiring it to.

14. PINEISLAND1

ok Lazer-

I've found the slick stick. It looks like a 4 position switch. How do you get all the functions of a v plow plus up and down of a rear blade on that switch.

15. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

You need 2 of 'em. lol.

It'll cut down from 4 switches down to 2.

16. PINEISLAND1

ok-

Sorry to pester you about this, but could you explain the position of the two and what each one does.

17. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Left: Front Plow
    Right: Rear Plow

Down puts plow down.
    Up lifts plow up.

Squeeze together: Scoops V-blade
    Split apart: V-position.

Toggle both right, plow angles right.
    Toggle both left, plow angles left.

Takes 2 minutes to master.

18. PINEISLAND1

Tell your electrical guy to market that- I'll buy the first one. I'd love to try it.

19. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

It was designed by myself. He just builds them to my specifications. I'm just not handy at the actual labor.

20. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

No Return? I was thinking that time was money. I'm doing at least a third more work in less time. I can see where in bigger parking lots it wouldn't cut much time, but in tight quarters I think it saves time.