1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by snowsniper1, Jan 6, 2007.

1. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

what do you guys think about the blizzard speedwing
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Have a brand new one, can't wait to use it. Maybe someday.
  3. 01FordPlower

01FordPlower Member
    from PA

I just had one installed on my truck. I think it it a great plow and I can't wait to use it when it snows. I spent months looking for the best plow out there for me, and I decided on this one. I like the power hitch, where the pump is located so it can't freeze, the box construction, the trip springs, etc..... The main point to me was how the plow was constructed, when I compared the the angle cylinders on the Blizzard to the Boss plow next to it at the dealer, the angle cylinders were about double the size. When I started my search Blizzard plows were not even on the list, it was between Fisher, Western and Boss. After my trip to that Blizzard dealer my mind was changed and I bought the Blizzard 860 Speedwings. Hope this helps!!!!!

Take a look at this link from today-----http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=38609
  4. cowboysfan

cowboysfan Junior Member

We put one on my sons truck last year and it seems like a great plow,I have an 810 on mine and love it. But if they would only make an 960 sw I would have to make the change.
  5. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I just put an 860sw on my new f- 350 I have only been able to use it once since winter decided to leave michigan. My last truck was another f-350 with an 03 810. It was a high maintenence plow( coil problems and several broken return springs in the wings)so I decided to keep things simple on the new plow. I plow condos so a blizzard is really helpful with getting the snow where I need to. Seems that developers forget that it snows when they design a community. The only down fall of the speedwing over the power polw is the ability to put it into a straight blade automatically. I just lock it straight ,backdrag all of my drives into the street and then go to work. the sw actually is nice because the wings are truly locked ,if I tried to drag anything heavy or wet with the 810 the wings just folded into the scoop position( that's how the springs break).One thing that I did was go to tsc and buy some pins with handles to lock the wings easier, I am going to weld some pices of tube on each side of the plow and put a wire on each pin so that they can stay right out on the plow for easy use, and then I shouldn't lose them! There are two more things I like about the sw. It is lighter than the 810, my last truck(03 f-350 w/v8) needed a new front end at 65,000 miles. The first winter settled my springs so much my truck i had to add a 2 inch leveling kit to get thing back to normal. Last but not least the 860 sw comes with 1/2 inch cutting edged all around. It cost me about $450 to get new edges for my 810 and the heavy duty replacement wing edges are only 3/8 and a 1/4 from the factory. I plow alot of streets and the curbs wear them down fast. Just a few things to think about, I loved my 810, but 860 sw will do everything I need it to. As long as it is a blizzard I think you'll be happy!
  6. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Was wondering if you ever noticed the cutting edges on the wings when you first bought it, with how it was in relation to the main cutting edge. With mine I noticed that the cutting edges on the wings were just a touch higher than the main one. I called blizzard about it, and sounded like that was normal I guess. Just curious as to what others have noticed.

Also, post some pic.'s after you done w/ your modification to the plow.
  7. magnatrac

yeah I had the same problem with my wing edges. I got my plow mount installed before the plow was instock, and the guy from my dealer actually lives right by me so he dropped the plow off in my driveway for me once it came in. My f- 350 is the smallest truck I have ever seen, my old truck was alot taller and since the dealer didn't have my little( ranger ) f- 350 to mount it on they didn't know anything was wrong. I didn't get a chance to mount the plow for a few days, and when I finally did I wasn't too happy about it. The ends of the wings were off the ground about an inch and a half or so. I looked at my push bar and it had one more bolt hole that it could be raised to bring the back of the plow up, and help drop the wing tips. It looked like an easy fix, but the bottom of the bumper was in the way. Since I knew the dealer had done all that they could with out cutting my truck, I decided to cut it myself. They did a real good job notching my air dam for me but, the push bar was touching the bumper behind it. I used a 4" grinder to trim the bottom of the bumber at the outer edges of the push bar. I only had to cut a slot as thick as the ends on the push bar to allow it to clear. The next problem was the mount for the light tower was going to hit the bumper if I raised it, so I used the same grinder to profile it to match the shape of the bumper in the new raised position. I know this sounds like alot of work but it wan't too bad. I had it back together and repainted in a little over an hour .All of the cutting on the bumper is still hidden by the air dam. As far as my idea for mounting the pins out at each wing I have been putting it off because I hate the thought of grinding on that nice new white paint!!! Don't worry I'll post pic's when I do. I hope this is a little help, it is what I had to do to get my plow to cut flat.
  8. cowboysfan

cowboysfan Junior Member

1000 pound of sand in the back would of fixed that problem
  9. magnatrac

Yeah thats a good idea, but a pallet of salt wasn't enough. When the plow was first mounted you could see that the back of the a- frame was just too low. I know that sounds like alot of work but it made things right. As I said above my new truck is alot samller than my 03 was. I guess thats what you get when ford goes from leaf sprigs to coil springs.