1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speedwing 860 Problems

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by cet, Dec 16, 2005.

1. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A friend of mine bought 2 860 speedwings this year. One has been out for 4 snowfalls and the other for 2.

The blade is starting to bend. The entire mould board is starting to bow. The pressure from the wings is pushing on the mounting points and starting to push the centre of the mould board forward.

Has anyone noticed any problems with their Speedwings?

We think there are not enough ribs in the back of the plow and all the weight from the snow with the plow in scoop position is causing the plow to bend.

He installed these plows on a Avalanche and a Z71. The dealer thought the truck would not be strong enough.

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I have no idea but snap a pic or 2 and post them up here for all to see.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I will do that.

We are in the process of taking a few pictures to send to the dealer and also Blizzard.
    That dealer has said that Blizzard will stand behind the product, our only concern is a new mould board will do the same thing. We want to weld some bracing on the back so we can get it through the winter and then get the new one when they have redesigned it.

They will most likely all do this. If we have bent both already and we generally don't get large heavy snowfalls like they get around the lakes there must be some kind of design flaw.

It was funny that when we phoned the dealer where we bought our 810 from last year, he said he never carries a plow the first year it comes out!

4. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

So any info on the damage or a repair. I am looking at getting a 860sw but would like to know if this is an isolated incedent or if all have the potential to bend. Thanks

5. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

I am wondering too. Would be good to see some pictures, and hear from anyone else that has started noticing these problems. Love what the 860SW has to offer, but if it's going to crap out on ya like that, then I might need to re-think this.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think this is a isolated issue as they have 2 of these and they are both bending. They have not taken pictures yet but i will post as soon as they have some.

7. BIG DRIFT

BIG DRIFT Member

How it going? Any pics

BD

8. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

I also would like to see pics of the bowed blades

9. truckie36

truckie36 Member

$8,000.00 worth of defective plows, 3 weeks and no pictures. Sounds fishy to me. My 760sw has worked flawlessly. I have plowed into solid banks that the plow would not ride up, I have hit things that have tripped the blade and no signs of bending. An extra 6" on each side shouldn't add that much more stress on the plow. As for ribs, the SpeedWing has 8, 2 on each wing and 4 on the main section. Plus the entire moldboard is box constructed. My Fisher 7'6" plow only has 5 ribs and no box construction (11 years of plowing and this one didn't bend either). I can’t think of anything that would bend the plow other than driving it between to solid posts with an 8 foot opening at a high rate of speed. So here is your chance to prove me wrong, let's see some pictures (include some shots of the posts too).:)

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you read the first line in my first post you will see that these belong to a friend of mine. Getting him to take pictures of something is like getting your kids to do something. We are in the process of building a new salt shed that he was going to do in August.

Anyways, the bend starts on the main mould board, if you look at the back of your plow there is a piece of box tubing near the bottom. There is a hole cut in it to allow you to change the cutting edge. It is starting to bend right there on both sides.

I am going to phone him right now to get the pictures.

I am glad you are happy with yours.:)