1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speedometor going wacky

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrodgers, Jan 29, 2009.

1. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Has anyone had this problem. My speedometer all the sudden started going wacky. It was saying I was going 120mph when I was going 40-45 mph or so. It would sometimes go back and work then do the same kind of thing. Its an 05 2500hd with about 54,000 miles. Took it to the dealer and they said it was the instrument cluster and it would be just under $500 to replace. I know it is cake to replace so I guess it is just the cost of the cluster but could it be something else?
  2. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Tell them you want it covered under special policy 07187. The 03 and 04s are covered and they're supposed to be lienient on the 05s, but they aren't technically covered.
  3. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Should I contact customer service or the dealer? I know the GM of this dealer and maybe I should ask him. He is actually a customer of mine. 54,000 miles doesn't seem like alot of miles for this to happen. Maybe its because they just covered a TCM modular for the tranny for me but some one said that was covered under the diesel warranty. They said they covered it because I was a good customer. Any thoughts on that?
  4. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

The dealer should take care of it, but you can call customer assistance if they don't help. Good luck.
  5. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

My 05 Hd did it a couple of months ago, the dealer wouldn't cover that year. Lucky I had the extended warranty, only cost me $100.
  6. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

my speedo started doing this at less than 40,000 miles. dealer wouldn't cover it under the special policy but it would have been 100 under my extended warranty. I told them no way. If you look around on the internet there are ways posted on how to fix the problem properly for yourself for not a lot of money. If you want, send me a pm and I'll direct you where to go.
  7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Yeah, I had the same problem with my truck (an '03 though) took it in to my GM dealer with the info on the service bulletin- two days later- new cluster in- six months later, problem solved so far (knock on wood)!
  8. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

My 05 Suburban did it this summer with only 30K on it. It hasn't done it since. We barely drive it(gas not diesel) so I wouldn't spend 500 bucks for the part unless it totally stopped working.
  9. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

E bay - offers to let you send your cluster to then and they will give you a re-furbished one for $ 200 with your mileage on it, plus you get the Trans temp gauge as well. Cluster is easy to take out & put in.
  10. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

that sounds like a good deal. wonder what the turnaround is on that
  11. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Bad stepper motor. Gm will pay for it as almost all of these trucks had this problem.