1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

speedometer

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BPK63, Oct 1, 2012.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

92 K1500 speedometer doesn't work or jumps around until I get on the highway then suddenly it starts working ok. When the truck sits a couple days and I get in it, it does it again. Anybody know if this is a dirty sensor or what I can look for? Thanks.

2. Holland

Holland Senior Member

92 doesnt have a cable. Its electric. Check the connector at the speed sensor at the output of the transfer case. I've had them get loose and have a intermittent connection. Good place to start. Keep us posted.

3. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Will probably be the end of the week before I can get under there in daylight to take a look. Thanks for the info.

4. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I finally got back under that dang truck and the wires seem to be tight. Nothing loose but they were covered in oil. Cleaned them off with some electrical contact cleaner spray and it seems to be working perfectly now.

5. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

Your speedo stepper motor MAY be saying bye bye

If so the entire cluster can be replaced for a used refurbished one (see flea-bay) for about $ 100 - 200 with yours as an exchange, they will put your mileage on the replacement - and the new one may include a Trans Temp gage ... Cluster comes out REAL EASY

or replace just your speedo stepper motor (if you are handy)