1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speedometer wont work, HELP!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by thesnowman269, Aug 30, 2010.

1. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

I recently swapped over the majority of the drive train from my old truck to my new one, the old one being a 98 f250 light duty, the new being a 99 f150, the swap included the transmission ( the new truck (the 99) was converted from an automatic to a 5spd) I cannot see the speedo sensor gears being off because the transmission and rear axle came out of the same truck. Im lost I have no more trick I cant figure it out

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I just had a problem with the speedo in my 96 F-250. I looked at it for a couple days on and off, finally decided to take it to a shop. They found a wire broken off at the fuse panel, which operates the speedo. You might want to find a chiltons, and try that. Good Luck

3. thesnowman269

Well you see this is the strange thing, the spedo works. However at highway speeds its only at about 20 mph. so there is an electrical conection, I think I just have to have my computer reprogramed

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

First get vss sensor out rear axle and clean

Make sure there no dielectric grease in connector plugs they mess AC current to speedometer.

If you was near I would come to help you.

5. thesnowman269

vss sensor? Iv'e never even heard of that but I think I know what you are talking about. I will check it tomorrow

6. Milwaukee

Look top of rear axle

it have electric wiring to top that is vss sensor.

7. Milwaukee

8. thesnowman269

Yup that thingy, I figured that was it as its the only electrical connection on the axle, is it possible it is not getting enough conectivity and thats why it is so off?

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

VSS = Variable Speed Sensor
    just clean it and reset your trucks computer (Take the neg battery terminal off...turn the lights on and wait for 30 mins and then reconnect the terminal_