1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

speedometer problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blublzr, Dec 30, 2002.

1. blublzr

blublzr Member

I have a 92 w/t 1500 with a 4.3l. lately I am experiencing the speedo measuring inaccurately. It says your doing 20mph when your stopped, and it will peg once you get up to highway speed. the truck has 170,000 mi on it. The other thing I've noticed is that once the speedo pegs the service engine light comes on !!! HELP!!!

2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Service engine light most likely comes on simply becasue the needle is pegged.
    Is the odometer working properly or is adding more miles then normal as well?
    Is that a analog of digital one?
    If the odometer is working properly the needle may just have moved outta position.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2002
  3. blublzr

blublzr Member

speedo prob

the odometer is registering incorrectly as well.you will be stopped, and you can see it clicking off a 1/10 ata time

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Then you prolly have the digitial one. Controled by the "engine control unit" (computer). It also stores the odometer reading to prevent "Odometer fraud". A eletrical shop sould be able to hook up a tool to see if that is reading properly and sending to the gauge properly. If the computer is messed then that could get expensive. Could be the gause it'self. Let the shop do the repairs. If the computer is reading properly & you go & replace the dash gauges then sell the truck & thay check the computer & see the true miles Odometer Fraud comes with a $100,000 fine.

5. blublzr

blublzr Member

speedo prob

the speedo and odometer are the analog type. I think the gauges in this truck are actually electro-machanical. i couldnt an actual cable going to the transmission, only a few sets of wires.