1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speedometer off??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DareDog, May 16, 2013.

1. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

2005 1500, started yesterday am 20mph off, then when i stopped the needle was stuck on 20 mph even when parked :laughing: what could cause that? is it the common gauge issue where needs to be fixed?
  2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

It's the stepper motor going bad. My old 04 would do this occasionally. There are several places on the net that can replace them for you in the same day they recieve your gauge cluster or if your good with a soldering iron you can buy the motors off Ebay and do it yourself. It's a pretty common issue. If it's like mine eventually it will fall back down to 0 and work fine for a while.

Register on Dieselplace.com and do a search. All the info and how to is over there.
  3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Yep, pretty common on 03-06 GM trucks. Sent mine out to www.gmgaugerepair.com last fall and had a complete rebuild for only $110 and that included shipping back at no charge. They offer a lifetime warranty on their repairs. Its a simple job to pull the cluster out, can be done in less than 10 minutes. Its not worth the hassle to try to repair it yourself imo
  4. DareDog

that is what it did today went back down to 0.
  5. bean7654

bean7654 Member

My 04 Tahoe had the same issue. It was covered under warranty extension, I think it was for up to 75,000 miles. Not sure if It was for 2005 also. Might want to check into it.
  6. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Happens all the time. BUT, my theory is it only happens 03-05 because I have an 04, an 05, and an 06 and the 06 has a different cluster than the others. On the 04 and 05 the gear indicator is a small screen whereas in the 06 it is the letters with a little yellow light under each one. And the 06 is the only one that hasn't had the speedo issue. All 3 are SLE trim.
  7. DareDog

7 yrs 75k i think it is warranty ? its got 85k on it now bought it November 2011 with 70k,
  8. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

The nice thing is you can pull the cluster and still drive your truck around with it out.
  9. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

6 bucks for a stepper motor,