1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speedometer drops to zero

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 81c1500, Oct 19, 2004.

1. 81c1500

81c1500 Junior Member

:dizzy:

I have an 89 c1500 4x2 short bed with a 305. Every once and awhile the speedo drops to zero. I tap the the front of the gauge and it returns to the current speed. Has anyone had to modify either the plug on the circuit board for the speedometer or the connector in the dash to correct. Thanks

2. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

sounds like to me that you need to replace the speedometer cable that goes to the tranny. what happens is that the gear gets worn out

3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

It needs a new instrument cluster.

Not really all that expensive. I had my local GMC garage do it about 5 years ago on my '90.

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

No cable on the 89 and newer models... Check the connection on back of cluster, also check ground wires....

5. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Could be the VSS too. But, if it comes back to life with some gentle persuasion to the front of the cluster it is probably either th cluster or the connection.

Pull the cluster out check to make sure the connections at the back are clean and tight. If the problem persists or goes away for awhile then comes back it is probably the cluster.

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

88-Ninety?'s(whenever they changed dashs' 94?) were notorious for this, and there are plenty of reman IC's in dealer stock for this reason. Mine would trigger my brake warning light, as it must have something to do with the speed sensor for the RWAL brake system.

And yes, I spent a year banging on the top of the dashboard for quick fixes!