1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

speedometer connection

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Txstruck, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Txstruck

Txstruck Junior Member

I have an 86 chevy 4x4 v8 diesel. not sure of the trannt or transfer case, but where the speedo cable plugs into the tailstock, there is a big plate missing. I assumke thats where the cable end screws into for the connection but its missing. I plan on taking pics with my digital camera this week and posating them on my website so yall can have an actuall look but does anyone have any idea of where i can get the plate so i can hook my speedo cable up? ANY info will be helpfull.
  2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

More info please - Auto/manual, 1/2, 3/4 or 1-ton truck? Looking in a specs chart at www.chuckschevytruckpages.com I see: '84 - 87 for transfer cases the 1-tons had a 205, the rest used a 208. That's "as-built" of course, who knows that some nutcase (like myself :D ) may have swapped/modified/adapted over the years!

When you get a pic, post it right here on this thread so it's easy to view.

I just took a look at a 203 and 205 transfer case here in the shop, and neither one has a "big plate" where the speedometer cable attaches so I'm guessing yours has the 208. (That's a chain drive, aluminum case unit. 203 is chain drive, cast iron case while the 205 is a gear driven cast-iron unit)

Unfortunately I don't have a 208 handy to get a look at, to replace the missing part(s) if the junkyard route isn't practical one possible source is a transmission shop, the other would be the "Genuine GM parts counter".
  3. guilty1

guilty1 Junior Member

75...which of the transfer cases are the "strongest" for the 1973-1987 chevy era? Are all of these transfer cases interchangable...with automatic and standard tranmissions?
  4. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Rob listed all 3 that are offered. The 205 is the strongest, but is very heavy and doesn't have a very low low-range. The 203 is a full time case that can be converted to part time, and is a chain drive, as apposed to the stronger gear drive. The 208 is the weakest of the bunch (I've never had a problem and have beat the PI$$ out of mine) with an aluminum case and chain drive, but has a nice low set of low range gears in it. As far as swapping, I don't believe they are all that interchangable, for a couple reasons. The manuals have different input shafts than the automatics (usually 10 spline on a stick, right??? and like 30 on auto) and are different lengths, which will require some drive shaft work. I'm sure someone has some more complete information, but that's the general rule up above, from what I have seen.

5. Txstruck

Txstruck Junior Member

6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like a 208 to me - although as posted efore I don't have a 208 handy to look at, it "sure don't look" like the 203 or 205 I do have here.

Guilty1 - Marcus is right - the 205 is mucho strong but also mucho heavy. Don't know about the low range ratio vs the other cases, but because mine is going behind a grunt-low 4-speed that shouldn't be an issue with the truck I am building.

And the cases are different for automatic and standard transmissions. As far as swapping one for another behind your automatic, I don't believe it is a problem behind a Turbo 350 and Turbo 400, however I'm not sure about the 700R4.

Have you had any luck seeing if a transmission shop can help with that missing part?
  7. Txstruck

Txstruck Junior Member

Ive been to busy to even stop at one. I may try to go to a govt auction and find a truck they are selling for parts. I need to take a pic of the tranny pan and see what tranny it has and maybe i can call NAPA auto parts and see if they have it or know what it is. Could you tell what kind of rearend it has in it? Dana 44 or 60? I had a guy eyeball the ratio and said it was 5:1, so with a 3spd auto and that ratio, it is definately made for pulling!!
  8. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

From what the pic shows, I'd say Dana 60 for that rear axle. Don't know about the front axle. I'd have a better idea if I knew what rating truck yours is (1/2, 3/4 or 1-ton)

5:1 gears doesn't sound quite right, I believe the two options were 4.10:1 and 4.56:1.
  9. Txstruck

Txstruck Junior Member

Well he just did an "eyeball" estimate, so I would say 4.56:1 i will get the VIN and check it against the vin decoder or whatever it is tell you what i find out, thanx
  10. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Turns out I'm wrong about the Dana 60 - it's a 14 bolt GM axle.

Again, go to www.chuckschevytruckpages.com and spend some time there - lots of good info.
  11. Txstruck

Txstruck Junior Member

Is that a good axle? I really don't know awhole lot about some of these parts yet, but with ya'lls help I'm learning! Thanx
  12. blzn74

blzn74 Member

That rear end you (and I) have is one of the stongest rear ends gm makes. It has Full Floating axles, and (stock) has 4:10 gears.
    One other thing to check is to see if it is 3/4ton, heavy 3/4ton, or 1ton. Normal 3/4 ton will have 10.5" ring(size of the pumpkin) and smaller brake shoes.
    Heavy 3/4 ton will have 10.5"ring with massive brake shoes, the easy way to tell is look at where your drums meet at the rim, if the drum has about 2" gap between the rim, its small brakes, and if the drum fills the rim up completely, its the big brakes,and last 1 ton, big pumpkin and big brakes shoes.:D
  13. Txstruck

Txstruck Junior Member

i will look and see, i know it does have some pretty big drums! Im at work so I will go out to my truck and get my insurance card since it has the vin number on it and we can decifer it. it should tell everything about it right?
  14. blzn74

blzn74 Member

Not sure if it will tell what rear end you have, check to see if the rear end has any vin numbers stamped on it.
  15. Txstruck

Txstruck Junior Member

ok the VIN # : 1GCHD34J9GF326365

Data from what I could tell:
    Brake System: 9001-10000 (?)
    1 ton drivetrain
    some of the stuff didnt match up with the VIN decoder on chuck's page, it shows it should have a gas engine but it has a 5.7L diesel. I think some of the stuff doesnt match because of the fact it is an ex-military vehicle and was special ordered. Or specifically built the way they needed them
  16. blzn74

blzn74 Member

Good rear end, (on your truck) what are your plans for it?
  17. Txstruck

Txstruck Junior Member

its an everyday driver and on weekends its a play toy! i plan to put about a 6" lift on it w/bigger tires as money warrants. only problem it has is at about 60mph the engine is hummin loud since it is geared very low with a 3 spd auto and after sitting all night it has trouble starting the first time because it has a very slow suction in the fuel line sucking air and diesels are air tight fuel systems, but after that, you can just bump the starter and she purrin!!
  18. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

1 - Country Of Origin - US
    G - Manufacturer - General Motors
    C - Make - Chevrolet Truck
    H - 9001 - 1000 pound brake system
    D - Line & Chassis - This one is a mystery. I can't find it in any books??
    3 - 1 Ton
    4 - 2 Door Cab
    J - Engine - 379 cid Diesel
    9 - Check Digit
    G - 1986
    F -Assembly Plant - Flint
    326365 - Plant Sequential Serial Number

AND you ARE right, the military is the only one that could get a 1 ton drivetrain in a single rear wheel configuration. The 1 ton drivetrain included the TH 400 transmission, or 4 speed. They also usually had a Dana 44 up front, and dual shocks from the factory. I would also expect them to have ordered it with the optional 4.56:1 Axle ratio. As far as the transfer case, it could be the 208, or the 205.
    Maybe that D in the VIN that is a mystery, is a special order military designation? I am not sure.

Do you still have the factory options decal in the glove box? That might tell you much more.

19. Txstruck

Txstruck Junior Member

I will have to look at it whenI go on lunch today, I also have a digital camera so if there are certain places you would like to see or special decals, just let me know and I will snap a shot and place it on my page for everyone to see. The only thing I have changed on it since I have had it, is I had it inspected and it now has plates. But everything else is military OEM equipment.