1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speedometer Cable On 86 F-350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by AA961JESTER, Jan 6, 2002.

1. AA961JESTER

AA961JESTER Junior Member

I recently bought a 1986 F-350 4x4 with 351 and automatic trans. for 300.00. This came with a Meyer Plow in working order. The reason I got it so cheap was the axle seals were leaking like sives. The speedometer cable/odometer is disconnected or broken. (More likely disconnected) I can see it is connected behind the gage, but where does it connect in the trans. I cant seem to locate the other end.

2. intimidator

intimidator Member

I'm pretty sure it connects to the transfer case in the tailshaft housing for the rear driveshaft.

Jason

43 days to Daytona

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

intimidator's right, there's a 1/4 bolt holding a clamp to the top of the transfer case. On my older truck this bolt loosened which allowed the cable to back out of position and the speedo wouldn't work. There's a plastic gear on the end of the cable that wore out because of this, it's replacable.