1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speedometer acting up?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Young Pup, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

OK guys,

I have a 04 2500 8cyl 6.0 liter. this is not an hd. Last night while out salting I looked down at my speedometer and I was going 120 mph. Not really but that is what it read. It was stuck there. Every time I would shut the truck off it would lower to a different speed. Then go back up then reset again to a lower speed. It was like it was going back to zero each time. Any ideas on this. As of right now it seems to be working OK.

Thanks,

JP

2. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Your truck will need a new instrument cluster. I work at a GM dealer and we have been replacing alot of clusters on 04 trucks.

3. Young Pup

OK, thanks. I will be calling the dealer here in a few minutes. Now am I right by this thinking that the instrument cluster is all of my gages on my dash.If so, what seems to be the problems with them. I have 18000 miles on it.

Thanks for you help.

JP

PS Should I mention this to them when I call them what you just told me ?

Thanks,

JP

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  4. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Usually the speedo acts up, it will start to read to fast to soon, and sometimes they stick at about 50-70 mph with the truck off. The tach can also act up and read to high of an rpm. The tach and speedo also can become noisy. At any rate just tell your dealer that it was reading way faster than you were going. They will need to scan your truck and get the cluster part number, odometer reading, and the number of hours on your truck. (the cluster has an hour meter built in). They will then order an exchange unit for you. If they tell you that its on back order, which all 04 cluster part numbers seem to be, you might want to mention to them that you heard an 05 cluster will work because thats what we have been installing. The 05 cluster will just have to be programmed differently but it will work. Good luck

5. Young Pup

Thank you. Going to take it in on Monday @ 10 am.I spoke to the person in charge of service and they did not even mention this. Is this something they are aware of? You said you have been replacing quite a few of these so it sounds like a issue that all dealers should be aware of.

Thanks,

JP

6. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Come to think of it, the guages on my 04 are noisy. I've never noticed a sound coming from the guages on any of my previous vehicles. It sounds like little plastic gears spinning together....I've had no problems with it yet though

7. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Bad luck, it sounds like you need a new cluster too. I have replaced them for just being noisy before.

8. Young Pup

Service Advisor

Well, I spoke to the service advisor today and she said that she was thinking it was the cluster as well. She then said that they are not even allowed to work on the unit itself. Said it would either be replaced or fixed. I then asked how long would this take and she said it could be a day or two days. Is this right? She said that the nearest ac/delco place that I guess has these or does the work is in Parma Ohio. I am not a happy person. If GM knows this is a problem then a recall is in order. My blood is just boiling thinking about this.I take it in on Monday and I better have it back on Monday night. I think I am going to speak to my sales man as well. Sorry Need to vent a little.

JP

9. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

How long was the truck doing this before you took it in??

10. Young Pup

As Bad Luck said I noticed a noise about a month ago but really could not figure out what it was. Then the other night while salting I noticed the speedometer was stuck when I was driving it up the freeway. I guess that is pretty much the time line. Within the past couple of days though I realized the noise was coming from the speedometer.

JP

11. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Tell your dealer to order an exchange unit for your truck. They can then remove your cluster and replace it with the exchange unit. This takes about 1/2 hour max. We do it that way all the time. Thats why I told you to take it in so the dealer could scan your truck with a Tech 2 to get your cluster part number, hours and miles, and then order an exchange unit. If they want to remove your cluster and send it in for repair they are crazy. If thats the case find another dealer that will do an exchange for you. It's really not a big deal, we do it all the time. Good luck again.

12. Young Pup

update long story.

Well, I took the truck down today. Got there and gave them all my information and asked what course of action they planned on taking. She(the service consultant) said they would probably ship it out and get it repaired. I said absolutely not. I want it replaced. I told them if they found out that they could not get an exchange unit, for them to call me. In the mean time I come home call other dealerships in the area. 2 out 3 of them ship them out. The 3rd one said nope we will order you a replacement. I said fine let's set up an appointment for this. Cell phone rings and it it the dealer where the truck is at. They said we will need to ship it out. I said nope I will be down to get the truck Found a dealer that is going to back order the thing for me. She said " I suggest that you let that dealership do that for you then" Go down to pick the truck up. Explaining this to ( his card reads service professional) service manager and tell him what is up. He looks right at me and says we can do that for you. WTF my blood is boiling. I told him I would get back to him and that I was not happy with the service consultant for her attitude about going elsewhere for service. Ran into my salesman and he is supposed to be getting back to me as well. Have heard nothing from him and still plan on going to the other dealer this Friday for them to scan and order the cluster.
    So that is how this little adventure with my truck is going. Sorry for the rant but it sounds like I have dealer to do the job right the first time.

Thanks for you help on this redhenny.

JP

13. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Young pup
    I can't beleive how much trouble you are having with this cluster replacement. Like I said, we almost always order exchange units. In your case the cluster will probably have to back ordered as you said, for the correct part number. But I think that there is another part number that we have used that is not on back order. Same cluster, it just has a different face plate so it would look a little different. I will check into the other part number at work tommorow and post what I find out.

14. Young Pup

Redhenny, here is the gm bullentin she gave me. I don't know why but she did. It mentions nothing of having to send it out for repair. The second page of this only says this is for use by professional technicians, Not a do it yourselfer. And so on. I do know that I have one dealer willing to backorder the part. It is a 25 minute drive compared to the five minute drive to the dealer that is giving me the grief. Still have not heard from the salesman as of 9pm on Monday night. I left him two messages too. Oh well if they don't want my business then the other dealer will get all of it no matter if I have to drive the 25 minutes to get to him. But once again thanks for the input. I thought you would get a kick out of their unwillingness to fix this problem.

Service Information Page 1 of 2
    <- Back j Forward-> Document 1W 159813 ___________
    2004 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD Feedback Print

02 - 05 Chevrolet / GMC I Cadillac All Full Size Trucks and Utilities Clicking Noise from IPC or Gauge Needle Sticking - kw click tick speed speedometer oil temperature tachometer cluster motor panel #P1T3327B - (Feb 4, 2005)
    02-05 Chcvrolet/GMC/Cadillac All Full Sue lrucks and Utilities Clicking Noise from TPC or Gauge Needle Sticking

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PT.

Con d itioii/Cori cern:

Some customers may comment on a clicking noise coming from the I/P cluster or gauge needle sticking.

Reconirnenclatioii/lnstructions:

Root cause appears to be the stepper motor in the cluster. Due to the magnitude of this concern, certain I/P clusters are now on back- order and the electronic service centers cannot meet the demand for new/or remanufactured clusters. Enhancements have been made to the stepper motors and I/P clusters. The supplier has made available a significant number of replacement clusters to addrcss the back order condition. These clusters include improvements to internal rotors and a new motor design which will address concerns with noise and gages. The Electronic Service Centers ( ESC ) should he able to address dealer orders going forward as a result of better communication with the supplier.

Note: Until back order situation is completely resolved, most replacement clusters will he 2005 model year part numbers and these clusters must he reprogrammed, using a VCI from Techline 800-828-6860 IF USED in a 2003 model year vehicle.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Models:

((02-05 Chevrolet All Full Size Trucks and Utilities) and (02-05 GMC All Full Size Trucks and Utilities) and (02-05 Cadillac All Full Size Utilities)

2/7/2005

15. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Like I said, as stated in the bulletin note. 2005 part number clusters can be used but will need to be reprogrammed using a VCI number. That is exactly what we have been doing. Tell the dealer to READ the bulletin that they gave you. If they order a 2005 part number in the AM they should have it by Wednesday at the latest.

16. Young Pup

That is what I told them that you said. That the 2005 could be used for this. I honestly think she is just not thinking. I am going to call the service manager and mention about the bullentin and the 2005 part. I sort of find it comical that they have right in front of them what they need to do. Oh well will let you know what I find out on Tuesday.

Thanks,

JP

17. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

WAIT UNTIL YOUR PARK/ NUETRAL SENSOR GOES, THAT WILL FLIP YOU OUT!
    YOU THINK THE TRANNY IS TOAST , CAUSE IT SLAMS INTO REV& DRIVE SO HARD IT WILL GIVE YOU WIPLASH :dizzy: AND YOUR DISPLAY (PRND321)DOESN'T WORK!!!! :eek: AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF A LITTLE ELECT SWITCH!
    EASY TO FIX !JUST FREAKES YOU OUT :drinkup:

18. Young Pup

You are a funny one aren't you. Let me deal with the speedometer first then deal with that problem if it comes up. This problem is going to drive me to drinking more rum and cokes if they argue with me again over this tomm.