1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SPEEDO GEAR ADJUST

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ERIC, Apr 3, 2000.

1. ERIC

ERIC Junior Member

THIS MIGHT BE A STUPID QUESTION? I OWN A 1979 CHEVY 4X4 PICKUP WITH A TURBO 400 TRANSMISSION, 40" TIRES, AND 4.10 RUNNUNG GEARS. THE PROBLEM IS WITH THIS SIZE OF TIRES MY SPEEDOMETER IS WAY WAY OUT OF WACK. I KNOW THEY MAKE SOMETHING TO ADJUST THE SPEEDO GEAR RATIO BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO FIND THIS ITEM. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS

2. Doug406

Doug406 Member

Your chevrolet dealership. They will have a bunch of different gears for you. what you must figure out is which one. On a 79 you should have a 203 case, there should be a little converter box where the cable goes in the case. Try removing that all together and see what your speedo says, otherwise swap gears (about 7 bucks a pop). There is a mathmatical way of figuring it out, but i can not remember it. Something like old number of teeth on speedo gears / old tire size x uknown new teeth needed/new tire size. Example 32teeth/29" tires times T(unknown)/40" tires. That may be it.

3. mpastor

mpastor Junior Member

The other thing you could try would be to go to a Speedo calibration shop. They could calibrate your speedo to compensate for the larger tire/wheel size.