1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

speedo and wiper problem , any ideas?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by elite1msmith, Jun 24, 2010.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

so the other day it did this once, and now its a consitnat problem

the speedo jumps aorund, it does not move any higher than my current speed, but the needel will drop then spike back up to my speed. does it at all different speeds. truck seems to respond to the diffferent speeds and if it holds the needel below were it should be for more than a second, it will up shift.

at the same time i have a wired wiper problem that has symptoms that keep changing. at the moment it will go on twice, all on its own, then it stops. I started the wiper manually and went to stop it...it did not stop it kept going...then it did stop and it stopped in the middle. Then the sypotoms changed again, and i could get it to stop properly.

not sure if these are related issues, or not. just weird on the same day. this is my first time trouble shooting a 3rd gen. i could use help and tips. lots of experiance on the 2nd gen

any recommended books, or downloads for repair manuels?

04 dodge ram 2500 4x4 auto trans, hemi, 130 k on it

2. elite1msmith

from chicago

hey B&B? you still on here?

3. huskerfan523

huskerfan523 Member

probably coincedental (?) the only think I can think of is MAYBE something shorting out in your steering column which is where wiring that goes to cruise (speedo/shift points) and wiper switch. problems like that are so hard to diagnose, it would be better if the speedo just quit or the wipers just stayed on or didnt work... I wish you best of luck though, start with the column, and let me know what you find

4. homerpete

homerpete Member
    from Iowa

Does your cruise still work when the speedo jumps around? I would put money on it being your vehicle speed sensor located on the top side of your rear axle, I had the same problem on my 05, replaced sensor and problem was solved. As far as wipers go mine also do that I'm guessing the switch is bad (turn signal assembly and all) so my guess is replace that and problem solved?!

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

any idea on what that sensor cost, and if i can buy it at napa or auto zone?

6. homerpete

homerpete Member
    from Iowa

I got mine from Oreilly's cost like $30 or something around that, it was not too bad. I'm sure napa or auto zone will have it, I'm almost certain thats your problem.

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

cruise control will not turn on or light up when the speedo gauge reads below 30 mph, so its hard to even get it to go on.

new issue, my ABS and Brake light came on yesterday, only for 1 driving cycle...shut the truck off, restart it was not an issue

8. huskerfan523

huskerfan523 Member

probably all linked to that speed sensor. if the truck doesnt know how fast its going, ABS doesnt work right.

9. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

I agree I took mine off road one day few days later started having problems. Speedo jumping all over the place. I got mine at Autozone and i believe it was 25 or 30. After I got under and started to take the old one off it was broken in half. No idea WTF dodge would put that back there.

10. homerpete

homerpete Member
    from Iowa

It's the speed sensor, mine did the same thing, replace and your problems will be solved!