1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speedcaster 2

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snoluvr, Feb 10, 2004.

1. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I am just wondering if anyone has a speedcaste 2. I just installed mine last week. After the four man, 7 hour ordeal, I notice it only spreads about a 10 foot wide pattern. Anyone have any tips on getting it to spread the 30 feet like advertised?

2. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I really don't know anything about this spreader in particular, but is your positive lead a sufficient gauge to power this spreader? and is it hooked directly to the battery?

-Jer

3. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Yes, this unit came with a harness that runs from the battery to th eunit, with a power plug.it spins fast but just doesn't seem like it can throw it far enough. Sand falls off spinner in a trail on the left side of truck.

4. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Do you have the variable speed controller?

5. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I do not have the variable. The dealer wanted another $300 for it! A simple on-off-blast switch. Any one ideas, anyone??

6. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Ithink if you click on search, then type in speedcaster, you'll get some insight into your' problem. Apparently you only get a wide path with the variable speed.

7. ghost

ghost Member

speed caster

i have one . you can try 2 things. First check the grease fitting, see if its greased. 2nd get a voltage meter and check at the back of youre truch where you plug into the spreader to see what kind of amps you have.

8. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Get the variabl speed. I have one an get much wider than 10 feet.

9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I have the single stage western version (pro flo)I found it also depends on the material you are spreading i do a mix of dry sand/salt and i get a pretty good spread well over ten feet.And the single stage is just ment for salt.....I have the variable speed controller and hardly ever use it.I just hit the switch on then off where i want a nice burst i also dont have huge areas to spread...just my two cents