1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speedcaster 2 controller Q

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cjasonbr, Feb 2, 2007.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I had a Fisher Speedcaster 2 installed a couple months ago. Paid $6500 w/install. Haven't had the chance to use it yet, but it looks nice! Anyways, the other day i was looking on the Fisher website and came across a picture of their controller for the Speedcasters:
    [​IMG]
    The one that was installed for my Speedcaster 2 has a silver face and lacks the variable speed operation. The good part is it matches the plow joystick which also has a silver face, although i'm sure i'm going to miss the variable speed funtion. Do you guys know anything about when they switched over to the black controller w/ the variable speed op? Did they give me an old controller?
    Also, are the wires in the motor box of the Speedcaster 2 for an Aux light? Does it come on when you turn the spreader on?
    Thanks for any replies. - Jason

2. kkls2006

kkls2006 Member

I bought my Speedcaster 2 years ago and it has the controller you describe w/o the variable speed.

Aux light?
    Mine has a choke light, and the wires are in the box.

3. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Where did you buy that from? $6500 seems kind of expensive for a tailgate spreader. Anyway I think that controller you described is an optional controller.

4. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

correction $2600, sorry... So you're saying the one i have is optional? It can't be better than the one w/ variable speed. Why would they have an optional - worse than standard - controller?? I just figured it was the past model.

5. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Sorry. To clarify, I think the variable speed one is optional. Also 2600 sounds more reasonable.

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

The variable speed controller is usually an upgrade option, well worth it, and the extra wires are for the brake light built into the salter. My model 1000 does not have the light but the 2000 does. I'm a little surprised yours didn't just come with these options being yours is the more expensive salter.

Speaking of salters, since people have been getting tickets of all kinds lately, I installed a lighted license plate bracket on my salter and moved the plate from the truck tailgate to the salter. Yup no obstructed ticket for me now:nod:

7. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Mine did come with the brake light. The connections i'm yalking about are actually 2 wires with terminals. From what i can ascertain they're for aux lighting.

Good idea relocating the license plate. That was one of the first question i had for them before they installed it. They said it would be over the plate. Sure enough when i go to pick it up it completely covered. Figures.