1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speedcast under hood to electric

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BillyRgn, Sep 8, 2012.

1. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

One of my trucks is a 1994 gmc 2500 it is a great solid truck that I bought as a plow truck last year. It has a 8ft fisher with the speed cast mount and the belt driven pump. I replaced the pump in the middle of the season last year when the old one failed. All my other trucks are newer minute mounts. My problem is the plow is just way to slow unless steping on the gas and with the truck being auto it is very hard to get it to move quick enough which is making the truck no whare as effective as it has the potential to be. Has anyone ever converted to a electric pump or have a fix to perminatly and safely speed up the pump so the engine doesn't have to be excelerated to get the plow to move in a timely manor. What pump set up do you guys recommend to mount up if that is the only option to make it more efficient, or am I better off pulling everything off and going with a new set up.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I assume it an auto not manual trans, Plow with 2 feet and that will be a fast plow.

3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Ditto what he said. The great thing about having the hydraulics under the hood is that everything stays warm. I'm a big proponent of making the stuff we have work for us.

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Put a SEHP pump on it. It will bolt right up. Or go electric under hood unit like a fenner.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Did you put a new pump on or used?

6. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Brand new fisher pump from fisher dealer and yes the truck is auto

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I really liked the smoothness of my engine driven systems. No doubt they are slower but I learned a few tricks to get around it. Mostly to position the blade for the next pass while backing up

8. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

you can change the pulley to a smaller diameter to make it spin faster,Or swap to electric.

9. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Thanks for all the replys guys, does anyone have any idea what my cost would be to gets the neccesary parts to put a SEHP pump or an underwood electric? Is there anyone that sells a smaller pulley the would mount up or would I have to go to a machine shop?? Thanks guys

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

To run a smaller pulley would be tricky. As it is, the three legs just fit on the pulley. Best bet would be to weld a smaller pulley right on the existing one

11. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

That's not a bad idea I think I might even still have the pulley from the old pump to use.

Does any one have an idea whare to start looking for a smaller pulley and belt and what size I should be looking for because I have no idea how the sizes work for belts and pulleys!! Thanks!

12. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

If you are dead set on keeping the belt driven pump and you want to spin it faster by putting a smaller pulley on the pump you can check out surpluscenter.com. Google it for the exact site. Lots of pulley’s, belts and stuff. Also Mcmaster.com also has pulleys and they have a FYI section that shows what belt will be needed with what pulley, etc. The belts are called fractional horsepower belts.
    Also with a smaller pulley the pump will spin a lot faster when higher rpms as on the highway.

Look for a SEHP pump on ebay or craigslist,they came mostly on minute mount I. Don’t limit yourself just to a seller only selling a pump. They usually sell the pump and upright in one. Making a harness for the electronic joystick is pretty straight forward by following the wiring diagram.

I used an underhood fenner pump I bought a long time ago. I used it underhood on my chevy for a while. I then converted to a MMI frame to fit my Superduty. I could not fit it under the hood so I made it vertical. I also put a larger 2.1 CC pump in it as well as an upgraded heavy duty motor. Works pretty fast for a heavy diamond plow. See my link for the diamond conversion and you can see what I did.

13. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

I wouldn't say I'm dead set on keeping the under hood pump. I was more or less trying to utilize what I have. I'm gonna see what craigslist and eBay have to offer tonight. It's to bad It's so slow because from what I read they are pretty reliable but the truck could be a lot more productive with a faster plow, thanks for the help