1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

speedcast return hose size question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pl-frm, Dec 1, 2011.

1. pl-frm

pl-frm Junior Member

1st post and 1st time plow install here. I just bought all new hoses for an old Fisher speedcast fully hydraulic plow that's being installed on an old Blazer. The original pump-valve low pressure white return hose is 3/8" and all my new hoses are 1/4". My question is do I need to have a 3/8" return hose or will the new 1/4 hose be sufficient.

Thanks in advance.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i would go with 3/8 back to tank. it will not be full pressure on the return side but will flow more volume. thus the larger hose.

3. second income

second income Member

The bigger hose will put more fluid in the reservoir faster keeping it a bit cooler. It will also reduce aeration in the tank.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A piece of 3/8 transmission cooler line works fine with a couple clamps.

5. pl-frm

pl-frm Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. Makes sense...I figured it was bigger for a reason. I'll just get the right 3/4" hose and keep the 1/4" for a spare.

The guy that sold me the hoses looked at the valve and pump with the old hoses and used the reasoning that the fitting going from the 3/8" hose into the pump was reduced to 1/4" at the pump side. Probably just didn't have any 3/8" hose...I will have to take a closer look at the fitting when I pull the old hoses off this weekend.

Thanks again.