1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speedcast Push Beam Question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by swarb76, Jul 1, 2015.

1. swarb76

swarb76 Junior Member

Hello,
    I am new to this site so please forgive any mistakes. My question is concerning an old speedcast plow. Is the push beam supposed to have some play as far as turning up and down? I know the plates have stops welded on to them but the trouble I'm having is that the beam will turn upward when i push snow and it gets stuck, thus changing the mounting angle which decreases the range of the plow as far as up and down (shortens it alot becase now the rams hit the bumber when the plow is only a few inches off the ground). I often have to back blade just to return the push beam to its correct position. I was thinking of welding the push beam to the plates but wasn't sure if that was a good idea. Its a poor design to only have a single bolt attaching the push beam to the plates. If there were 2 bolts per side it would restrict it from turning at all. Would love to hear any and all suggestions. Thank you all for your time. I hope that description makes sense.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So your saying that, the truckside mount has movement, and there's only 1 bolt holding it to the truck frame?

Any chance you can post pictures.

3. swarb76

swarb76 Junior Member

No-the push plates as well as the whole frame is solid. Sorry for my description. I guess what I'm saying is the the stops that are welded on the inside of the push plates are not doing their job and when I push snow, the push beam turns upward , past the stops, and gets stuck in that position. I'll attach a diagram and hopefully that will help explain it better. Im thinking the fix is to either weld bigger stops in place or just weld the push beam itself to the push plates... but i was wondering if that push beam needs a little play in it to act as a shock absorber?

PB1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  4. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

There should be some play in the center push bar, I had the same setup on two different trucks, if it is rotating that much you need to either make it tighter with some washers or you have something else loose

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Your stops are most likely the issue. Make sure the rest of the set up is tight against the frame. If there is space there then there will be too much space between push beam and it will ride over those stops. Make sure your set up is not bent either. Post pics of your set up.
    T.J.