1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speedcast Help

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Ford429cu, Oct 7, 2012.

1. I recently purchased an old 8' Speedcast plow for my '79 F250 , which I was told worked prior to being removed by the previous owner. I hooked everything up, filled the belt driven pump with ATF to the full mark, adjusted the cables and first tried to raise the lift cylinder (no plow blade attached) and it blew the hose right away (it was an old hose). I had a new hose made up (re-filled the pump) and tried the same thing and this time it just wouldn't lift the cylinder. I then drove the truck to hook the blade on and figured I would try the angle pistons. The pistons would move less than an inch and no more. So I though maybe the pump is bad. The plow came an extra pump and control valve setup. I changed the pump and I just keep getting the same results after numerous attempts. Any ideas of what could be wrong? Is it possible I have something hooked up wrong? I know these are pretty simple set-ups, but I I'm at a loss here. I know it has been at least a few years this this set-up was last used. I'm new to plowing but mechanically inclined. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Jeff

2. Anyone have any thoughts? Is it possible I have something hooked up backwards? Any tests or ways I can troubleshoot the situation to eliminate certain things? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Jeff

3. LON

LON Senior Member

4. LON - I appreciate the installation instructions. They appear to be the same as the set-up I have, though I have a 429 engine. I will buy a pressure gauge and check various locations. It looks like a flow meter is a little out of my price range for this project, but we'll see.

5. So I was finally able to test the pressure of the pump, which is at 1450psi. Does this mean the pump is shot? I was told I need to have 1700-1800 psi at the pump, is this correct? I have one more pump to try out, though the previous owner does not know the history of it. Are these pumps still available? Thanks for all of the help.

Jeff

6. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

The last time I purchased a new Fisher belt drive pump was about 6 years ago from the Fisher dealer, I paid around $300 CDN at the time. I would guess they would still be available, still a lot of those old plows out there yet.,

7. unhdsm

unhdsm Junior Member
    from Vermont

Mine acts that way when the couplers aren't fully connected. Sometimes it is hard to tell if they are old and gritty or frozen. Also, is it possible your belt is slipping when the pump engages?

8. I ended up buying a new pump, which ended up solving my problems of the lift piston not going up.

My next problem now is the lift cylinder lifts the plow no problem, but when I lower the plow it will lower it to the ground but still has a lot of tension on the lift chain. After lowering it to the ground I've tried to compress the cylinder by putting all of my weight on it but it does nothing. Any idea of why the cylinder will not compress all of the way?

Is it necessary to to have both of the angle hoses connected to be able to angle at least one way? My pass side hose is no good and I only have the drivers side connected and it will not angle.

Thank you.

9. unhdsm

unhdsm Junior Member
    from Vermont

No, you should be able to move to one side. My lift piston compresses all the way with the weight of the plow. I notice you are somewhat near me. If it would help you can swing by and check out my setup sometime.

10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Leave it in float and the plow will pull the cylinder down. It's normal. Best plows ever made IMO. Can't be the simplicity and reliability of Fisher underhood hydro's.

11. With all of your help I was finally able to get everything figured out. Both of my angle pistons ended up being frozen and my lift cylinder needs to be rebuilt. With all of these parts changed out I now have a fully functional and properly working plow! The last thing I need to figure out is wiring up the plow lights & blinkers. Thanks again for all of your help!