1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SpeedCast Head Unit?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dubeb31, Jan 8, 2006.

1. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

I was wondering if any one have a speedcast fisher plow with the permanent head unit...and if anyone takes off the top part of the head unit(lights,hydro.cyl,etc.) in the off season...i'm thinking of fabing up a bull bar, or some kind of covering for it, i just didn;t know if anyone has done this before...pics would be ideal if anyone has any...thanks

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

First of all I've got to bust your chops about your signature, you have eight inch plows:eek:

Second I assume your talking about the Minute Mounts because the Speedcaster is Fishers best tailgate salter. You are aware they now have the ProTube for that?

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Grn Mtn,

Hes talking about an old conventional so the pro tube wont do him any good. If i remember right they origanally called their early convetional blade a speedcaster.

As for taking the head gear off, never did do that, thought about it. I can tell you that when i did take my old convetional off my old 79 chevy and got to the first corner with it i thought i was going staright off the road. Couldnt belive how much that mount stiffened up that old truck, had to go find a sway bar to help take out some of the body roll.

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Yeah, the original moldboard before the MM generation was called the Speedcaster- did a much better job of throwing the snow then the lower moldboards of the MM I might add.

If you have an electro-hydraulic setup it may be more diffacult, the straight hydraulic ones are fairly easy to remove and yeah, most guys around here take them off and bolt on a 2x4, or a custom diamond plate cover. Not that much work- move the hydraulic couplers to the truck instead of the plow frame and remove 4 bolts and a hose.

5. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

Ya i was thinking of getting a PT 2"x4" and mounting some PIAA's on it for the off season....the diamond plate would look good too....thanks guys

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

BTW if you convert the lift ram to a short hose and a quick disconnect instead of the direct plumb of the factory it'll be easier in the future.

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

oops

My apologies gentleman, I don't have the old-school card in my wallet:p

8. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

I had a '78 F-250 with the SpeedCast plow, not the SpeedCaster. I never took the headgear off, because the truck never left the island, and I liked having the extra lights on there for times when I needed to turn night into day. Some guys here do take them off though, just the headgear, not the two arms that protrude from under the truck. I wouldn't bother, unless you really care about the looks of it hanging off of there ( I always liked the looks of it on ).

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Recent talk in another thread suggests it may be law to remove them for the summer months in some states... FYI.