1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speedcast advice

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Trilogy, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Trilogy

Trilogy Junior Member

I recently aquired a 1984 F150 with a Fisher Speedcast plow. The truck was donatated in 1995 for plowing the yard, at the time it had a school there. The school shut down in 2003 and the truck was not touched again until I fixed it up and put it on the road this summer. I had an issue with the regulator for the plow being frozen earlier, but was about to fix that with a can of PB Blaster and a pair of vise grips.

My question is, what should I look for on the plow, and what should be done to it before the snow starts falling?

It is mounted onto a 1984 F150 with a 300 straight 6 and 4 spd transmission. The truck is manual everything.

Thank you,
    TM

2. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

I would defenatly check the pins that hold the blade the the a frame as well as the pins that hold ur rams to the a frame to the blade. check the hoses...just make sure that the over all appearance is ok. make sure that your pump and belt are in ok to good condition. they are pretty easy to care for. not a whole lot to go wrong with them. some people would disagree but imo i would rather have a speedcast over a minute mount. if it breaks down its going to be easier to fix. you dont have to chase wires on them....

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When you say regulator, do you mean the valve body? Take all the hoses off the valve body. Dump out the old ATF and fill it with fresh ATF. Same for the pump. Spray down the outside of the valve spools with Deep Creep.

4. Trilogy

Trilogy Junior Member

As this is my first time having a plow, I may not know all the proper terms. You are most likely correct about the name. I think I will mainly do my church. The Pioneer Valley can be strange with snow (follow I-91 through MA and that is the valley). I changed the ATF and hooked up the plow. So far it is all working well. I will probaly have a shop look it over next week.

5. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

Ur going to spend a lot of money that you dont need to if you take it to the shop. pretty much if it works youve changed he fluid and the hoses are good. It will last you for what your going to use it for. I wouldnt spend the money to send it to a shop unless you had a serious bussiness and was goind comercial and a ridiculous amount of driveways.....