1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

speed wing

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by docsgmc, Feb 13, 2010.

1. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

well i was looking into a new blizzard 860 speed wing,and after talking to a local dealer he said that my truck witch is a 1997 gmc k2500 diesel would be 2 heavy for this plow.....does any body have a 6.5 gmc or chevy with a speed wing plow

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

You'd be fine. Not sure if it power matches or not, but I would think it would.

3. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

i cant find the weight of the plow......does any one know where to find it???

4. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

it only matches for the gas motor

5. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I think You'd be fine I have seen several of those trucks with 810pp on them that weigh around 150lb more and granted a solid front axle is best imo but the ifs will handle it fine just give the torsion bars a couple cranks and You'll be ready to go. also the weight on the new speed wing 8600 is 810lbs.

This is only my opinion and I like to push stuff a little:D

6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

I've got 810's on my 96 K2500 350, my 99 K2500 6.5 Suburban, also when I had it, my 97 K2500 454.

Cranked Tbars, and timbrens for all, never a problem.

The 810 is just shy of 1k, you'll be fine with the speedwing.

7. truckie36

truckie36 Member

The OP was told that his truck was too heavy for the plow not that the plow was too heavy for his truck. I can't see where you would have a problem as long as you don't plow like a maniac.

8. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

i would be over the DOT regulations.....GVW but i also do big parking lots and need a strong plow thats realible

9. coryservices

coryservices Junior Member

I am plowing with the almost same set up as you have it works great you will love the set up no worries

10. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

well it sounds like next week i will be geting the 760 sw instaled....hope iot all workd out

11. lilweeds

Now this is just my opinion, but a 3/4 ton 6.5 will destroy a 760SW. It's made for a 1/2 ton truck.

12. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

I would agree.Go with the 860 sw

13. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

i was just looking at that.....do you know the blade size in the scoop position??

14. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

Model model
    760sw 8600sw
    blade width 91" (7' 7") 103" (8' 7")
    plow width at full angle 79" (6' 7") 94" (7' 10")
    blade height 25 1/2" 29 1/2"
    plow weight* 596 lb 810 lb

15. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

is the 8.7 with the wings pined open or in the scoop???

16. lilweeds

Scoop................

17. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

thanks for the help ,,,just trying to get a new blizzard speed wing and i want to get the best one for my truck.....sounds like i may have to get the 860 sw

18. ACCONSTRUCTION

ACCONSTRUCTION Junior Member

It will be the best thing you ever plowed with IMO. I cant say enough about it, its f$%*#&$^ awsome.

19. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

acconstruction..does the lights stay on the truck side????

20. lilweeds

With the old 860 yes, with the new 8600 they stay with the plow. Personal opinion see if you can find an 860.