1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speed wing vs power plow

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by DCL, Nov 1, 2009.

1. DCL

DCL Member

Whats the differences? Any recomendations? The speedwing is $500 cheaper in my area. Which one would you go for?
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Check out Blizzard's web-site to see the differences. You have complete control over the power plow's movements, with the speed wing the leading edge (when angled) always curls forward and the trailing edge drops back in line with the rest of the moldboard. I'm surprised it's only a 500 dollar difference, in most areas the speed wing's usually a grand cheaper.
  3. DCL

DCL Member

is it worth it to get the power plow? I need two of them so I looked at it as saving $1000 but if having complete control is worth it then I guess a grand may be worth it...
  4. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Most Blizzard owners swear by them. The biggest complaint about them is the finish, and how quickly the power-coating ends up wearing off and having lots of surface rust. People tend to have fewer problems with the speedwing, as there are fewer parts that can fail. It depends on your needs and applications. I swear by the speedwing, but that's just me. And if need be, you can "pin the wings" into a straight position to get the largest blade with possible. It only takes a minute or two to do.
  5. DCL

DCL Member

I just looked through the specs again and I guess I completly missed the fact that the speed wing only comes in 8 1/2' at the largest. One of these will be going on a 3500 dually and so I would want at least a 9'. I guess i answered my own question on this one. Thanks for the input! anything else anyone wants to add, keep it coming. Thanks again.
  6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

It's 8.5 in scoop mode. I've had the SW on my dually and it clears the rear tires with ease. I will say if I were you I'd consider an 8611lp. Bigger is always better if you ask me.
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  8. jitaly

jitaly Junior Member

Hey everyone, im new to the world of plowing and was curious on your feedback. I have a F350 i plan on plowing with but have no idea what kind/size of plow to get. I have mostly residential accounts, only a handful of commercial. What do you guys recommend for a beginner?
  9. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I run a 860 sw on my 07 f350 and love it !!! I had a 810 on my 03 350 and loved that too. I will say that when the time comes for another plow it will be the S.W. over the power plow. Then again every blizzard I have owned was made in calumet so maybe it won't be a S.W. LoL !!! I plow condos , residential , sub division streets and small comercial with my 860 s.w.

Good Luck , shaun