1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

speed caster plow weight

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by DAVESCOLLISION, Jan 22, 2011.

DAVESCOLLISION Junior Member
    from JERSEY

have old speed caster 7'6" was wondering the actual weight of blade compared to a newer style
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The blade itself is not very heavy. There are two versions - two spring Light/Regular Duty, or three spring Standard/Heavy duty.

I'm guessing my three spring is three hundred pounds or so, maybe more. Pretty easy to move it around.
  3. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

I have one of those, according to Fisher it's 636 lbs.I have disassembled mine completely for a total refurb., not sure I'd say the blade alone weighs quite that much but I bet it's over 500 anyway. I think it's pretty beefy gauge steel they were using back in the eighties.
  4. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I weighed one a few years ago with a scale we have to weigh bears, I hooked the scale onto the bucket of the tractor and just droped a chain down to the center top hook on the plow . When I first picked it up it bottomed the scale right out but as soon as it was hanging it properly it wasnt . Just the blade and A frame weight was 455lbs from memory. And that was the HD, or 3 spring style, and someone thought it was a 1987 manufacture but I cant remember how they arrived at that .
    Not sure how accurite a way that was to try to weigh one but it gave us a referance that must be close?? I am guessing that 636 number would include the headgear???
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  5. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

Interesting. Nothing beats an actual scale for finding out, I guess.

I was referring to my ballast calculations, and I either found that 636 number somewhere in the Fisher literature or a guy from Fisher told me that (not a dealer but a guy at Fisher proper).

I have another reference to the "Attachment Weight" of 48 lbs.

It's a big old hunk of steel, any way you slice it.