1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speed bumps

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I have never plowed any lots with speed bumps before. My buddy asked if I could help him do this lot. It has a total of 6 speed bumps in it. I just dont exactly know how to go over the bumps with the plow. It aint snowin yet, but I just want to know before it does. I dont want to mess up the plow or anything. Thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Slow.

Are they concrete or the staked in kind?

3. zmowing

zmowing Junior Member

We plow a trailer park with speed bumps for 9 year. we just go over them very slow and lift the plow when we touch the bump.if you go to fast you will tear up something.

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

they are the concrete kind. I figured going slow would be the trick but I wasnt sure.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I would just go slower, the worst i can do is trip the blade all the way. But if you fly over them something might catch, and break.

6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Slow is the answer. If you have your blade angled, than as soon as the front corner hits it will raise the plow and dump snow in front of the speed bump. Same thing coming over the down side. Front edge won't drop and push the snow until the hole thing is over the hump.

I use to drive with the blade angled up to them. Stop, straighten the blade, go over it slow with it on float so it goes back down the other side, then angle again as I continue to the next one. Pain in the butt.

Are they marked on the side so you can see them with a bunch of snow? If not let your buddy go first and you follow.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Like he said mark them!
    Plowing at 3AM you might forget they are there. Wham, your plow's broke a spring!
    Lift the plow a bump,go over it slow, then float it.
    Letting the plow trip is just abusing the plow and truck side mount too much.
    Work smarter not harder.

8. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

We mark ours at the lawn edge with stakes, so we know when to lift the blade up a bit before coming in contact with the bump.