1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speed Bumps

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vanwhyjr, Oct 12, 2004.

1. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

Hey guys,
    How do you guys deal with plowing speed bumps?? I went and looked at a developement to bid on this weekend and they have speed bumps all over the damn place? They seem like a real PIA but I have never plowed with them. Any suggestions??

Should I charge them extra, or just stay away?? :help:
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Speed bumps are not a problem. Just angle your blade either direction and it will go right over them. :waving:
  3. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

ok, thanks
  4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I have never encountered them, now I know what to do if I do. Thanks Boss pumpkin:
  5. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

If they aren't marked with a sign, mark them yourself. Saves a big surprise. Also don't be in a hurry.
  6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

what type of speed bumps are they. are they the bolt down type or part of the asphalt (sp)?? if you arnt careful you could rip the bolt down type up.
  7. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Be sure to mark them so you don't rip them up.

Last year we had a trench to deal with. The city ran utility lines under a parking lot we did and only backfilled the trench with gravel. As it settled it left a 3-4 inch deep trench. You had to remember to kick the blade up a bit as you approached the trench. If you forgot it would stop the truck unless the blade was angled.

Just be sure to charge accordingly as it will take additional time to plow.
    Mark K
  8. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I have plowed a housing complex for several years that has bumps and it does not cost me enough time to raise the bid for. Just remember to treat your equipment gently when you encounter them.
  9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Add more time or cost if there is a lot of the speed bumps, more caution takes time.
    Big thing is mark them with poles or something (signs) so you remember they are there! Add a warning to your plow sheets or list so your guys know about the hazards. I did a half finished condo complex one winter and they had water shutoffs 2 inches high in the street. Forget about them and BANG I found one!
  10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've had the same problems with tank lids in gas sation parking lots. They're a pain in the butt!!! Same as speed bumps though, I just angle the blade and go real slow and I go right over them. :waving:
  11. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

I put it right in the bid that the developement MUST flag all speed bumps, mahole cover(there on the side of the road), and drains.
    The speed bumps are asphalt type, not too high though. I don't think they will be too bad, if I get the job?? :rolleyes: