1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

speed bumps

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ahaycoman, Nov 12, 2003.

1. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

While plowing my biggest account this morning, I discovered that a plastic speed bump had been installed since the last snow and after I talked with the night foreman, he told me that plans were to install several more in the near future. Unbelievably, this is the only speed bump I have ever had to deal with in all the plowing I do and I'm not sure how to cope with it, but I know there must be a technique of some kind. Can anybody help out with this one?
    Also, I know it's going to take more time to clear the same areas, so how do you go about changing pricing? Any rules of thumb?
    I searched for threads on this, but there were none that specifically addressed this situation.

2. ronsracing

ronsracing Member
    from CT

I would see if the speed bumps can be removed for the winter. Otherwise you should renegotiate your price and be sure you are not responsible for damage to the speed bump.

3. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

When I plow around speed bumps, I usually go normal speed right up to the bump, go slow over it, and continue on my merry way. I was also freaked out by speed bumps when I first starting plowing. Just go slow over them, or the plow blade will tip forward. Like ron said, make sure you have a clause about damage to the bumps, especially since they are plastic!

4. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

Ditto the damage clause.
    Im not sure what your plowing set-up is, but if the bumps are small enough-like the ones I plow over- I angle my blade. The leading egde rides over the bump w/o tripping. The blade just glides right over.
    I use Western uni-mounts.

5. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

You need to estimate the extra time it will take to work around the speed bumps, and submit a change order to your contract. Make sure you cover yourself on your estimate. I'm sure they will slow you down quite a bit and will be hard to clean around. Chances are, whoever decided to install the speedbumps did not take snow removal into consideration.

6. Dan725

Dan725 Junior Member

bwinkel Does anyone every take the snow removal into consieration when installing anything. Residential is the worst when they plant all the way around the driveway. :D

7. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

Dan725 Youre right about that!