1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SPEED Bumps and other Q's?!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Sep 13, 2004.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

well, ive never plowed before, this year i have a few contracts, i dont want to get over 15 because its my 1st year plowing, and i realize its harder than it seems so i want to makesure i dont get over whelemed before i even know how to use my equipment (if that makes any sense)

anyway, my father and i were talking about plowing and what makes sense to us..... and one thing came up, well three actually, we'll get to those in a second....

first one is, what do you guys do when there are speed bumps and you cant tell because the wind+snow blows it all even/level. does it mess up the plow?

secondly, when plowing a driveway up by the garage, do you back up into it, then plow it foward, then go back and back drag the part you couldnt reach between your hood and tailgate by the garage? or do you just get that with a shovel? basically, is it safe to back drag the plow?

and finally, what happens to the plow when you hit some concrete where its taller up in the groove than the previous slab (like where the slabs have a 1/4 to 1/2 level difference between slabs)? does the plow fold down so that the plow is now face down on the cement, does it break the plow or bend it, or does it flex your frame up?

sorry for all the Q's, but as you know its my first year, and i know there will be supprises that i find out but i want to minimize that as much as possible so i can be aware of what can happen or will happen before i find out and dont know whats happeneing!

Thanks guys!

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Hopefully it trips when you encounter an obstruction. When going over speed bumps though I go slow and raise the blade, you can screw up the speed bumps especially the asfalt ones. Try to remember were they are or mark thier locations, stakes or the reflective driveway makers work will if they allow it.

DONT GO FAST THROUGH A LOT UNLESS YOU KNOW IT!!!

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Backdragging - drive straight up to the garage with the blade up more than the depth of the snow. Drop the plow. (BE SURE YOU ARE IN REVERSE). Back up about one and a half truck lengths. Repeat until you've cleared the area in front of the garage. Turn around. Back up so the plow is in the cleared area. Drive forward pushing the snow where you want it. With practice, you can get within a few inches of the garage. I have an 8" overhang, so there's no shoveling needed.

Speed bumps - Like ratlover said, use markers. But I suggest - Do not try to remember where they are. Everything looks different as soon as it's covered with snow. Bump the plow up a few inches to go over them.

Slabs of concrete - The biggest problem is that you're likely to tear up a chunk of concrete. Now you'll need to replace it (and usually not just put that piece back in place). Best suggestion - take pictures before it snows. Second - Put a Urethane edge on the plow and it'll ride up over the broken pieces.

Hope that helps some.