1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Speecast Ram..please help

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by AUB1, Feb 9, 2011.

1. AUB1

AUB1 Member

I have checked older threads and can't find one dealing with speedcast rams, but my problem is a general one. I was plowing last night and all of a sudden the blade wouldn't go side to side. I checked and the ram cylinder was pulled all the way out and a stream of ATF up the road. The screw cap is still there and some gaskets but I walked up the dirt road I was plowing and found half of a metal gasket in the snow. I guess I need a new ram? Could I try putting the old one back together? Another question is how do I get the blade to push the other way so I can get the ram back in the sleeve, [or whatever it's called] So I'd like to know what to do with the ram that is pulled out and, why would it pull out like that?
    Thanks very much

2. BIGCUBES427

BIGCUBES427 Junior Member

Could very well have pulled the threads out of the cylinder or off the gland nut. Check the threads first.

Dieter

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I personally wouldn't even bother messing with it, just buy a new one.

Simply pull the pins to remove the rams from the A frame & Blade.

To give you an over all idea of how it is put together.....

svc_rams.gif

svc_rams.gif

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

new angle cylinders from my local Fisher dealer were $99 each last month when I cracked mine and needed to replace them- fwiw local NAPA was $20 more each...

I would change the affected one and in the off season look into the damage and see if it's repairable, or even worth repairing the damaged cylinder for a spare.

5. AUB1

AUB1 Member

Thanks for the help you Guys. And thanks for the diagram Ryan. By the way I needed another part last week and called the garage under your ad and the person working there said they don't ship to Canada so I'll have to try to find one up here. The nearest Fisher dealer wants quite a bit more than $99, and I need it tomorrow. Maby I'll try some other hydrolic place.
    Does anybody know what I should ask for....it's a speedcast ram, and when I checked last week the fisher dealer had never heard of speedcast plows...now I have to deal with them again...oh Boy! So should I measure the ram, and if so where do you measure it from. Man I wish I could find one that someone bought and didn't need, but I've checked around and no such luck. Looking at the diagram of all he various orings and gaskets I think my old one would leak even if the threads were still alright. There are a bunch of orings and gaskets still on it but I don't know if they are ALL there. Man you'd think they could make a ram without all that stuff in it...oh well.

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

what size plow is this? This is a cable operated plow with the pump on the plow itself correct?

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

I saw your equipment in your sig afterwards....the original part number is A3660 but I'm pretty sure it's been superseded more then once.....20117, the following are other brands... SNP8117, 1304300, Z102336, 315-9205. it's a 1 1/2 X 12 Ram.

The fact that your dealer has no idea what a Speedcast plow is...... CPW sells and ships to Nova Scotia...not sure if it will save you any $$ though after shipping.

A3660-1-12-x-12-Angling-Cylinder.jpg

A3660-1-12-x-12-Angling-Cylinder.jpg

8. AUB1

AUB1 Member

It is a cable operated system and the pump WAS outside on the plow but last year I changed it over. It would freeze up all the time so I bought a system and installed the part onto the inner fender under the hood. I can't remember the name of that piece...the pump I guess. And repo Man I don't think I have my gear listed in my sig unless it was something I had on here last year when I was running 2 rigs. Now I just have an '87 GMC Sierra Classic shortie Diesel with the old speedcast I took off my old Suburban woods truck. I used to call the suburban the Flintstone mobile cause it had no floor. I really like the old 87 though, and the short box is just great for plowing back here through the trees. Now that the box is full of wet snow there's nothing stopping it..other than a broken ram that is.
    This is going to be a stupid question but how can I get the blade all the way over to the other side so I can at least TRY to put the old ram back together just enough to make a few swipes so I can get my car out. I took it to a place to have the fluid changed last time so I haven't done much work on it myself. Would I have to take a line off the other ram and push the blade around? Somethiong like that maby? Again thanks alot. This site has helped me so friggin much...wonderful

9. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

You should be able to retract or extend the ram to whatever length you need to make it fit.

After installing, lift the blade all the way up, attach the carry chain, and drop the blade so it's suspended by the carry chain. Then angle it fully side to side several times. It may not respond immediately as the new cylinder fills up with fluid.

Now make sure the lift arm cylinder is fully retracted, and check your fluid level. You'll need to add more since you just drew a half quart or so out of the reservoir to fill up the new cylinder.

Then lift, detach the carry chain, and drop the blade. You should be good to go.

I have found this method seems to bleed out the air sufficiently.

Oh, and clean and grease those pins before you put them back in.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

Remove the damaged ram by removing the pins that hold it to the Blade & A Frame, put it back together bench side (If you can), then re install it to the A Frame first. Top off the fluid, then angle the plow towards the bad ram until you can re pin it to the blade. Make sure that you fully retract the ram prior to reinstall or fill it up with fluid by removing the fitting at the cylinder.

Also if you plug your lines into one another, rather then the pump assembly, you should be able to move the blade back and forth freely....problem is, your ram is exposed right now, so your only going to loose that much more fluid until it's either back together, or you install a brand new one.

11. AUB1

AUB1 Member

Thanks Guys...I bought a new ram at the dealer around here..honestly I don't know how that place stays in business. I called before and the Guy said he'd never heard of a speedcast plow. When he was waiting on me somebody else called him asking about parts for a speedcast plow. Anyway we put it on...it works great and in the meantime I found all the parts for the other one so I have a spare now. Hopefully I won't have to go back to that store.
    If anyone from Fisher International happens on this thread, let me tell you that maby you should take a closer look at who you use for dealers in Eastern Canada. Anyway thanks again Guys