1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Specific Blizzard Questions....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by North Country, Feb 19, 2004.

1. North Country

North Country Senior Member

<h4>I am 99% sure I am going with an 810 next season but:</h4>
    <ul><li>Does anyone get hung up trying to push back, when you are riding up on the bank a little?</li>

<li>How reliable is that hydraulic finger mounting system?</li>

<li>What is involved when taking the head gear off the truck?</li>

<li>Does anyone have a Blizzard joystick mounted like an old school Fisher on the lower left of the steering wheel?</li></ul>

Thanks in advance for any help! - michael
  2. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

no, i dont get humg up when trying to push back. with 3 810's, i've never had a problem with the finger hookup, actually it is a dream. the head gear, (light rack?) comes off with the pull of a pin and unplugging the two light connectors, personally, i leave mine on till the season is over. and i have the box and like it better than the joystick because you can lay your hand on it and run the controls.
  3. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

great setup you will love it if you dont like it i will buy it off you..
    good luck
  4. North Country - This is my first year with the 810 and I love it - get it and don't look back. I have to agree with Parrothead on all of your questions, so I won't repeat him.

It seems that we are not too far away, where exactly are you located? Send me a PM - I'd like to learn more about North Country Snow & Ice.
  5. North Country

parrothead and thundercat99 Thank you for two heavy duty endorsments! I have done alot of research already but those were a couple of questions that were nagging me.

Any other Blizzard owners out there with an opinion!

parrothead which side of the wheel do you keep the box? -michael
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  6. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I have a 810 and never have any problems.I love the finger mounting system ,its such a breeze to hook up.The head gear comes off in like a minute. I have the toggle switch controler,and I have in right next to me on the console. You will ove this plow.
  7. North Country

Matt I just sent you a PM - michael
  8. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek Member
    from Ky

LOVE IT , but haven't go to use it much :mad:
    mounts and dismounts real fast an easy
  9. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

Phillyplowking, I notice that you have both the blizzard and a V plow in operation. Do you have a preference between the two?
    Does one outshine the other on large lots/tighter areas etc?
    I am looking to add a larger plow by next winter and am leaning towards blizzard.
    Thanks for any advice you can give!
  10. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

KLC,truthfully I do like both of these plows, they both perform really well in lots ,but the blizzard is the answer for doing lots because of the larger scoop and such.
  11. renegade

renegade Junior Member

I mounted my 810 joystick controller on the center console cover in my Chev 3500 dually 4x4. Almost seems Blizzard made the controller for this application.

Like you, North Country, I spent a lot of time doing research before I bought the 810 this season...travelling to different dealers to inspect the latest offerings from each brand. So far no regrets with my choice!
  12. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

Well I have an 8611 and while it is great to move snow (when it is working!!!!) I'm getting really PO at the plow/setup. Now the 810's seem to be really reliable but man I've wanted to get rid of this plow it is so frustrating. If I had to do it again I would get a V fisher or try a Boss. I only plow driveways- no curbs,manhole covers..... AND I'M THE ONLY ONE TO USE THE PLOW AND DON'T BEAT IT OR DO STUPID THINGS. I DO WORK THE TRUCK AND PLOW BUT WHO DOESN'T!
    Problems- with in one year
    1.plow is very heavy- had to add a leaf to the f450
    2.all of the bolt holes had to be re-drilled after first storm and replace with larger bolts- my plow frame had twisted and there were gaps ( the bolts were tight, but the pre drilled holes were allowing movement )
    3. lift cylinder snapped off at the push pin on the lifting/mounting arm
    4. replaced pump plow is still slow but better than before
    5. lifting ass. broken again push pin for the lift cylinder worn and bent in a u shape,lifting plates worn which need to be replaced.

Now 3 and 5 can be connected? if the lifting ass/plates weren't replaced by dealer when it broke the first time which I'm pretty sure they weren't
    Again the 810 seems to be really good talking to people who have them but the problem seem to be that the lifting setup/parts are the same for the 810 and 8611 and with the 8611 weighing alot more the parts just can't take the weight and fail. My warranty is also up so if it breaks again it's my $$$$ along with time. Also my plow is vin#00029 so maybe I got a bad plow?
    I also think that the joystick controller is to big and bulky and could easily be made smaller.
    DON"T think I'm bashing the blizzard it is a great plow but I believe that spending close to $6k for a plow there should be no problems for at least 2 to 3 years or more. My '00 MM fisher has had the fluid changed 3 times and replaced 1 light.
    Sorry so long feel free to ask more ? Joel
  13. renegade

renegade Junior Member

I believe a plow, (any plow), is only as good as it's dealer. You can never be sure about a product until you see how your dealer will react to a breakage or malfunction.

I installed a new Blizzard 810 on my truck last month...three small storms later, I've now had opportunity to get that first dealer reaction...not impressed Bolts!!!

The problem I've had is with the wing extension spring. About 2 wks ago, I noticed the LHS wing would fold forward before being fully extended...got out to check and sure enough, I had a broken spring. Disassembled and found the spring had broken in half. I figured this was odd because these type springs generally break at either end, (the connection points). Chaulked it up to a possible defect and carried on...no big deal. So today I'm out plowing again and, while backing up to make a second pass with extensions out, the RHS extension hits a snow bank and folds to the forward position... didn't think much of it till I noticed that tell tale folding forward action of the non-extended wing. So now I know what is breaking the spring in the middle...it's contacting the inside of the moldboard. Since my dealer is a 4 hour drive, I've found an excellent alternative to factory original...mud flap hanger springs available at any truck stop for about $10. These springs are slightly longer but there is lots of adjustment to take up the slack.

I decided to head over to the local shop, who intended to add the blizzard dealership next season, to let him know about my "brilliant fix". He decided to call the distributor/dealer where I purchased the plow to inquire as too the availability of the springs. Not only was there non in stock, because he "didn't think anyone would break those", he indicated that I must be "using that plow some rough". In fairness this guy was just returning from a "24hr push", so I'll won't jump to any conclusions quite yet about his service abilities. Perhaps it's not a good idea for one guy to be distributor/dealer/user eh Bolts??

14. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I just bought a 810 to replace a boss 8 ft super duty.I have only got to use the hew plow one time but sure like it so far.Its a little slower on the hyds than the boss was but at least i wont have to get out of the cab to put pro wings on and off. Just hope its as reliable as the old boss was for 7 seasons.On our other truck we have a 9.2ft boss v. Wont get another one of those.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Jsaunders where did you buy the 8611? Was it from pro image in Manchester? I ask since that is where I purchased mine.

My 8611 only has about 70-75hrs on it but it has worked fine for me. My only complaint has been the lights keep coming loose and don't seem to stay regardless of how tight the bolts are.

BTW I have a Fisher 8.6v EZV and have had to replace the circuit board (in the controller) twice, at a cost of 160$ each time. But overall I like the plow but would trade it for an 810 in a heartbeat.
  16. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

I bought my plow from a company in Brentwood who is no longer a dealer( only 1 yr) Had a guy install it ( only one yr) and then had it worked on by a dealer who has been a blizzard dealer (starting this year) This may be the problem that it may not have been set up correctly or worked on because everyone was/is new to the plow. My plow was just fixed by a dealer in Fitchburg MA-Boudreau's Service and I'm very happy. They didn't have the parts in stock but did take the parts off of another plow that hadn't been used to fix mine. That's the type of dealer I like. Not having me wait because they know my time is money as well.
    I'm still concerned about the strength of the plow parts because they are the same for 810 -8611 and the 8611 is so much heavier so the parts themselves get worked harder. I know people who have known the guys who started Blizzard and they say they will stand behind there product even after warranty. NOW IF WE COULD JUST GET SOME SNOW!
  17. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

I've posted my Blizzard thoughts several times previously on other threads, so I won't repeat except to possibly misquote Jim Carrey and say 'I like it.......I like it a lot!'
    I found that my joystick controller is very handy mounted to the end of a flexible gooseneck pedestal meant for a cell phone that I mounted on the floor between, but in front of, the bucket seats. I don't have a console between the seats so there was room to mount a control panel there for the strobes, rear flood lights, sander controls, etc. and it all seems to be very handy and I never have to reach for anything.
    I have only the one plow/controller/lights so when I have to switch everything over to my spare other truck it doesn't take much time at all. The only thing I have two of is the undercarriage that the 810 hooks to and it takes only about 20 mins to get switched over. That helps when you destroy a transmission or transfer case as I did last week and need to get going again as soon as you can.
    But I feel I would be taking a step backwards if I bought a different kind of plow since I have owned the 810. But that's just my opinion and I'm sure they'll be disagreement on that point, but it's how I feel.