1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

special orders !!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BWhite, Dec 18, 2002.

1. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

"Can you just come by and push what the city plows leave for any storm over 10 " I said sure but it will cost $ 50 because of the heavy stress on my truck that you only want ....... She almost had a heart attack . I'm not gonna stress my equipment if I cant also make some money with the easy push !!
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I don't blame you. That's why I insist on pushing all accounts at 3" with graduated charges for deeper snow. Some around here have one charge for any depth. Like I told my newest customer, they tend not to be in business long. People who want service like you're describing are cheap and, like you say, have a heart attack when told what it would cost because of the buildup. What they don't realize is that if they had regular plow service, this would been taken care of at less cost. My first year, I made the mistake of pushing a 14" snowfall on top of another 14" plus other smaller ones for what I could get. When he called me the second year, I told him that it would cost 2 1/2 times what he'd paid the year before. He couldn't believe it and wound up getting somebody else.
  3. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

special orders...my favorite!!!!

I will always take the special ones.....they don't even need to be educated on the benefit of plowing every 3". Example...If I push a driveway 3"-6" for $40.......7"-11" for $60........12"+ for $80. First price break is for one stop, 2nd for two stops etc....you get it. Over 12" is $80 and I go there three times for this $80. If you can get them to pay $50 for one visit and only have to do the end where the large pile is....all day long I will do this. Think about it.. raise the blade up and make a push....drop the blade half way and make a push ....drop the blade all the way and make a push.. they only wanted the end of the driveway where the town plows piled the snow and they can give me $50. They will be on an on call basis and will receive service last for requesting "special" service. Even better if they are within the route. I love to see the two guys in the neighborhood that I do 6 out of 10 driveways struggling as I pump out all six drives while they mess with there snowblower or shovel....hahahahaha:p
  4. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

Commercially speaking it is a no-brainer....or course you would be there. This is the person(homeowner) that wants the 2' -4' banking in front of there driveway plowed. When you write in capitals Monster....it suggests that you are yelling. Are you suggesting that BWHITE, MICK and myself don't want to keep customers HAPPY and are not PROFESSIONAL?????? Please read and understand the question before giving your opinion. Thanks.
  5. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I agree

didnt seem like he understood the question
  6. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

After reading this thread, I think that there is a misunderstanding. Monsterplow's point is that this is a service that you should include for your customers, which I agree with. But Monster, Katwalk, Mick, and BWhite all are saying that this person isn't a regular account. It is simply someone overwhelmed by the volume of snow at the end of their driveway, that called you to make a special trip to their house (not a regular account) to clear the mound they can't handle. So, I also agree with them in that this special trip should be more expensive than it would have been had this been a regualr account that you serviced every X inches rather than a 2 foot pile.

Maybe I missed the point, but thought I'd throw that out there.
  7. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I think *I* understood the question.

To rephrase it--Would you accept as a customer, somebody who specified a 10" snowfall and a 2' windrow by the municipal plow as their "trigger"? Would you charge a premium price for that service?

Did I clarify the issue, or just muddy the water even more?
  8. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Rob beat me to it (apparently by less than 60 seconds), but I think we said essentially the same thing...
  9. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I was stating that the customer wanted me to remove this large amount of snow but since I was" only" doing the end of the driveway she (they) thought it would only cost about $ 20.00 I provide great customer service probably better than the monster plow guy. But I am not willing to stress out my equipment and not get proper compensation for it . I work for money not ego :rolleyes:
  10. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

B White, I would have told them same as you. The people that cry about price would rather shovel than pay what we deserve and to cheap to buy a snow blower.
  11. drobson

drobson Senior Member

I have a couple of accounts that I only clear the end of the driveway for them, I don't charge the same as doing the entire driveway because I would be doing the end anyway. To be fair I charge what I figure would be the percentage of time it takes to clear the end of the driveway as compared with how much time it would take to do the entire driveway. Of course I still use the same pricing scheme (i.e. 1-6" @ $40, etc). Except I use the amount of snow after the street plow goes by to determine the price tier.

I find that I make the customers happy because I am fair with my pricing, but I don't give anything away.

As the saying goes: A happy customer will tell a friend about your service; An unhappy customer will tell 10 friends about your service.