1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Special Gas Station Laws/Regulations?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jguck25, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Im sure this has been asked before but after numerous searches i cannot find anything on the topic.
    I was asked to put in a bid at two gas stations locally to me, big brands, and I was not sure if there were any special requirements to plow these here in New Hampshrie. I have tried google and on here and cannot find anything.

For some reason I have always thought that you couldnt have a metal cutting edge and you needed to have a poly one, is this true? And I have also been told that I need to have a special license to do this?
    Will this make my rates go up if i bid on these?
  2. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Use the placards at the station. That is what they are made for. Find out what all of the hookups are that you are plowing around. Usually it does not matter. Most gas stations want plowed but not salted, or salt in house. We just plow around those caps and shovel close to them. REMEMBER! MARK THEM ALL OR KNOW THEM ALL those things get expensive and if you bust some sort of delivery/receiving component of that fill station they cannot receive shipments of gas. YOUR BILL COULD BE VERY HIGH! including the gas truck driver's hourly overcharge, the cap itself, the labor, and all of the potential sales lost at that time.

Always check with your state just in case things are different there...try their .gov website and search it thoroughly. Call AND email the state. They are required to answer you but it may take a while. I don't think you will have any issue other than bustin caps. My father had it happen back in the day...(80s) and he lost his gross for the day (running 4 units plus sidewalk crews...he was a big operation for our area at the time before he sold it)
  3. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I am probably going to get a lot of crap for this... but here it goes.. what do you mean by use the placards?

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i plow the mobil station near my house and have never had a problem, the owner puts cones ontop of the fill caps so i dont hit them, they are supposed to be the new ones where the plow rides right over them but they dont work, i ripped one off last year and buried it in the pile somewhere, so now i dont go near them.
  5. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Placards are the warning signs...Like flammable or the different classes of gas and hazardous materials.

It's a valid question. They are usually on a square turned up like a baseball diamond. They will have little pictures and numbers. Look em all up just to be safe. mark everything. Put WHO is supposed to mark them and a disclaimer against all damage in your contract....I have some sample contracts if you want them but it might take me a while to dig one up. If you need it just give me what you need and your email address.
  6. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Yeah that would be great! thanks I appreciate it and I sent you a PM. Where do you get placards for this situation?
  7. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

They should be hanging at the station already. All he is telling you to do is read them so you can see if there is anything special that you need to do or change.
  8. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Doesn't that suck? I hit ours once, and sent it into the snowbank, that was FUN to look for.
    Now I just lift the blade right up when I go over them
  9. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

I do a small gas station at the stop and shop i plow and let me tell you I HATE IT. Way to many things that trip the blade.
  10. SDeVoe

SDeVoe Junior Member

I do a small gas station here in Pennsylvania, and I know people who do others, and to the best of our knowledge, around here there are no laws about plowing around them. I do agree though, the tank caps are terrible, and the do trip the blade every time you hit one. I only kicked one off last winter, but I heard it when I hit it, so I just picked it up and put it back in place. I hope I never push one into the pile though, that would not be fun to dig out.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

they didnt find the one i burried till spring time, lol they had a spare one in the back they put on.

RIVERVIEW7 Member

I use to do a gas station before it closed down i would mark the fills and plow around them carefully not him.
  13. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I do a chain of gas stations in MA and NH and am not aware of any and would be surprised if any licenses are required.

As to the gas caps, we have had only one issue with those and that would be my driver hit it with the blade and when the trip edge recoiled it launched the thing like a hockey puck into a snow bank. Could have been a dangerous situation but luckily ended up ok. We have since reevaluated what we do around the caps and the stores all now put out cones over the caps and their sidewalk ice melt (they do their own shoveling) so they are never snow covered. We plow around the fill area and just shovel it. The extra time it takes is worth everyones safety and a happy customer.

We also tried back dragging over them which (depending on the plow) works OK, but will still sometimes grab the caps. Especially if your using a full moldboard trip blade.
  14. dumbyankee

dumbyankee Member

There is no law about a special lic. to plow gas stations in the state of New Hampshire. If there was most couldnt pass it any way. The ploy edge is up to you, I use steel and have yet to burn one down. The cover issue is up to you but I shovel them off then plow. Yes I charge extra for that. I also use magic salt for areas with a lot of steel and concrete. Pretreat before the storm, then as needed, you will use a lot less.
  15. chitownfinisher

chitownfinisher Junior Member

Hi, I'm new in the biz, I was wondering if you could e-mail a sample contract, thanks in advance:)
    John @ johnbrinnehl@att.net