1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Special concoctions for ice??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Big Dog D, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Had to break out the old secret recipe today for the ice storm we had. I have a very good customer that has a large area of hilly roadways that are all dirt that they plow with a loader that usually leaves a fair amount down that compacted and slick as hell . They run trucks through there all day and with the icestorm we had today the sand/salt mix just gets lost and encased in ice. So to combat this I take a 3yd sander and load in about 3/4 yd sand salt mix, then, 1yd 3/8'' crushed, and 1/2 a yard of 3/4'' crushed stone then top it off with another 3/4 yard dollop of sand/salt mix. This mix will allow almost anything to go anywhere.

Whats yours???
  2. asm505

asm505 Junior Member
    from PA

Any advice for residential lane packed snow and ice? We have a long lane (approx 1100 ft) and pretty much the same thing is happening. The lane is gravel and my husband plowed but the snow and ice that was left is packed and really slick. Thanks for your help.