1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oakhill2000, Mar 7, 2003.

1. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

I was plowing one of my accounys last night about 9pm in the center of town. three state trucks went by with plows down on completely clear pavement. Do they do this to sharpen thier cutting edges or are they being wise A%!'s and plowing because thier boss's said too. There was literally sparks coming from the blades and they were going fast too about 3 or 35 down a main route. The third plow closest to the edge of the road might have hit a little chunk of snow every now and then, but thats it. Does anyone else see this or is it just moron state workers in my area?
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It happens a lot around here too.Not quite on bare pavement,but they are just trying to scrape up little bits of slush and hardpacked snow as the salt breaks it up.Lots of pretty sparks !

Sometimes they will also leave the front blade down if they are winging back the snow on the side of the road.I guess it's to clean up any little bit that falls off the curb.
  3. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

but these roads were absolutely spotless just a little wet. but it was pretty sparks
  4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I used to do the same thing in N.Reading We would scape with the belly plow then i would be behind with sparks flying to catch his little bit of snow.And that was to get down to black top beacuase they tax payes are paying for was the reason.
  5. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Even here in hick'ville INDY they do the same thing. We call it > Roadway repair management < Just another way for them to tear the heck out of the roads and have a reason to spend MILLIONS to repair them in the summer :eek: GEeezzz, I should get into the pavement Biz also :D

indysnowplowers.com / Indy Property Care L&L

6. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

We have seen this, too, with the state DOT trucks, and were told that it was because they had to use their budgeted amount for new edges, etc., or else the budget would be cut the following year according to what was actually used, without taking into account if it was a lighter or heavier snow year. Ah, the wisdom of the bureaucrats!:rolleyes:
  7. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

That's called "job security". Don't forget the added wear & tear to the trucks & equipment that will need attention also.

Plow Babe,
    Well at least there was a logical reason given. I've often wondered why they do this also. Now if there was a way to change that system....
  8. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Plow Babe,

Just an idea; Ask them how much of their budget is left, then send them an invoice for that amount for edges, Or plow a lot for them and bill them. Just kidding. LOL

If the snow starts to hit hard in your area, maybe they will be out of budget for edges and needs to sub to you!

9. chris doherty

chris doherty Junior Member

oakhill were these yellow masshighway trucks or hired contractors.my dad was a foreman for mass highway for over 33 years and he was not a moron.me and my brothers were subs for masshighway me for over 16 years and my older brother for 23 years.Iam now a foreman for my cities dpw and we are not morons either! we are all very dedicated to our jobs. and sometimes you get tired of geting b#tched at or about.even more so after long cold snowy such as this.
  10. farmertim

farmertim Member

around here when they put new edges on the plows and its late in the year like this they take them out on dry pavement to wear it down a bit to match the crown of the road so they can scrape slush.
    They use to use a hardened edge but quit because it wouldn't wear to the road crown and leave alot of snow on the road.
  11. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

So what were they plowing, or was it to not loose the budget and waste energy?

I have a buddy who works for a city, they drive their big trucks around with 2 speed rear ends in low range so their fuel budget doesn't get cut.
  12. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have an idea.....Everyone here run for office that controls the snowplow budget in your area. This would be a great way to pic-up some extra snowplowing biz.... :D
  13. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have an idea.....Everyone here run for office that controls the snowplow budget in your area. This would be a great way to pic-up some extra snowplowing biz.... :D
  14. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

Chris Doherty, I was just asking a simple question if anyone knew why they did this. I was not putting state workers down. I also believe they weren't state workers they were contractors "hired" by the state, therefore they still take orders from the state when and were to plow. I just thought it was odd that they scrape clear highway when there is absolutely nothing to plow. I am sorry I offended you so much.