1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spare Tire

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dlongerman, Nov 16, 2010.

Where is your spare during the winter?

1. under the truck

2. in the bed of the truck

3. some where on site

0 vote(s)
  4. back at the shop/home

1. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

Where do you keep your spare?!
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

truck or tire????
    wife or girlfriend??

tire is in stock location and I will never tell where the GF is at.....lol
  3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

After having to cut the cable on the Dodge because of rust and last week having to use a torch to cut out the holder on the Chevy I keep mine in the bed with a cable lock to the hook on bed.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Ive taken mine out of both trucks. Ive got AAA but have more than one spare mounted at the house and shop and I have enough people i can call if need be. I don't trust that cheesy cable whatsoever
  6. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

I ask because I had a flat the first storm last year and it was a pain in the ass to get the tire down with the salter on and salt weighing the back down and it was still snowing when i was going this. so i learned that it should stay in the bed locked down and that i should have a better jack and my wrench set with me...
  7. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i dont have one on my f-250. never have had a flat knock on wood.

on my daily drivers they are in the stock locations...
  8. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I've been keeping it in the box. Not sure what I'm gonna do when I get the flatbed installed.
  9. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

mine is in the box... saw the end result of a tire loosed by a rusted cable while the guy drove 70 down the interstate... truck was totaled.
  10. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I was driving in the woods getting fire wood and heard a noise in the back of the truck. I looked into the mirror and seen my spare tire in the middle of the roadway. The cable broke but I had to have the whole system replaced.

In fact, today now that you mentioned it, I will take my spare off the bottom of the truck like it's supposed to be able to do and check it out and Fluid Film the heck out of it.
  11. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Under. As part of my truck/plow prep I take the tire down and lubricate the cable/check it over. It would take up too much space in my bed IMO.
  12. Premier

Premier Senior Member

under the truck or back at the shop depending on the truck
  13. no spare

I hate the Bronco tailgate tire mount
    It is the first thing that I remove

Havent carried a spare in 10+years, but I do closely monitor my tire pressure and carry
    a 12 pump
  14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Get yourself a nice 20 or 25 ton bottleneck jack. If you need it when loaded with salt you will thank your lucky stars for having it.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  15. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

yupp got one.
  16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

under the bed where it belongs- chain on mine not cable. Check it every year so I know it'll work when I need it. Problem I had was the factory supplied jack is useless- too short, and the one time I really needed it the tire tool ratchet shattered so I will have a light weight aluminum floor jack this year and replaced the tool with a 1/2" breaker bar and socket (and cheater pipe).
    when I switched out tire sizes in the past for snow season I had the correct size spare in the bed in addition to the stock under it.
  17. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I keep mine in the passenger seat of the trucks. It keeps the drivers company and they can talk to it so they don't fall to sleep. Oh yeah almost forgot>>>the center of the wheel makes for an excellent coffee cup holder.