1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spare Tire Troubles

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by searay220, Jan 14, 2010.

1. searay220

searay220 Member

Tires are finally in after being backordered for several weeks. Before I take into the shop tomorrow I removed the center caps because some tire tech like to take a air gun to the plastic fake nuts.I want my best tire coming off the truck to be made as my spare. The problem I had today was trying to get the spare out from under the truck. I used the rods and turned the gear to lower the cable without any trouble. The cable lowered easy down to the ground. However the tire only lowered about 2 inches and stopped. I don't know what it is hanging up on or how to get it lowered. I tried eveything with no success. Anybody go through this? If so what was the solution. I did call the tire shop and they said they know what to do. I am sure glad I found this problem now and can get it fixed. It would of sucked if I blew a tire plowing and couldn't get the spare down.:realmad:
  2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I always put the spare in the bed for winter . try pulling on it . I chained mine to a tree to get it down it broke . :laughing::laughing:
    I did get the tire tho
  3. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

it might have a cable and lock on it
  4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

It's a known,actually very well known fact that the GM spare tire winch is flawed somewhat.You have to constantly spray Fluid Film or the juice of your choice on the cable by using the device once in a while.The spare tires with the winch assembly have been known to fall down on highways.Get out your FF now!!!!;)
  5. searay220

searay220 Member

Well there is some type of secondary latch that holds the spare up as well as the cable. Seems like some type of saftey latch. Well the tire shop new exactly what it was and got it to release. They cleaned it up and I handed them a can of Fluid Film to spray it all down. They got it moving freely and I was back in business. I will check it from time to time to make sure it stays working.
  6. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

that's one reason i did the "spare tire delete" kit......
  7. 2004chevy2500hd

2004chevy2500hd Senior Member

Good to hear (so to speak) that I am not the only one with issues/concerns with the spare tire secondary latch issue....FF the heck out of it (frequently....)
  8. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I used the torch to cut the end off the cable that held the spare up. It came right down! No problem. By the look of the rust on the rim, I'm sure it's the factory '01 spare.
  9. 2004chevy2500hd

South Seneca - Out of curiousity, where do you put your spare now? in the bed? Or did you purchase a new cable/spare tire holder? I'm trying to figure out if buying a new spare tire holder (under the bed) is worth it.

OMGWTFBBQ Member

If I recall you should crank it like you are trying to lift it until it clicks once, and then when you reverse direction on the crank to let it down, it will come down. I found it in the owners manual once when I had the same problem.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

thats what i have to do with mine as well

OMGWTFBBQ Member

Found it in the online manual, and I was correct.

Attached Files:

13. 2004chevy2500hd

Thanks guys - I will FF it to death and then re-read the manual

Apparently this spare tire mechanism is child-proof....laughing
  14. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

After chipping 10 years worth of rust off the spare rim, I shot some rustoleum on it, and tossed it in the back of the truck.
  15. 2004chevy2500hd

I hear ya' - I had to use a persuasion tool (a 5lb mini sledge) to remove mine.....