1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spare tire question...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by buckhigh, Nov 16, 2012.

1. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

I currently run Toyo Open Country AT 265/75/r16 on a 4wd 2002 2500HD. I blew my rear left tire a week ago pulling my landscape trailer. I put the spare on which was the original 245 Firestone. I was only 5 miles from home and I creeped it under 25mph. As long as 2WD was engaged getting her home, was I safe from any drivetrain damage?

Next, I found a used Toyo Open Country AT (same size, same style, same tread design) which has about 8/32 tread left, while my other 3 are around 6/32. I just mounted it this evening, but haven't drove her yet. Will that be safe for a month or two until I replace all four? If we were to get hammered with snow, can I engage the 4wd without damaging things? Much appreciated on any words of wisdom given...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would say your good. 2/32 ain't much difference at all. I really don't think your tk will notice the difference. I.e. the diff or abs

3. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Your good.

4. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Truck will be fine.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You just run into problems when you have an axle that has tires that are smaller or larger then the other axle. The drive train has one set that travels father or a shorter distance then the other. Then you start to bind up the drive train. But if you need 4x4, you now have slip on the pavement from the snow / ice. So you really need a big difference in size to cause a problem. It will not come out of 4x4. Try backing up 50 feet and then shift out.

6. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Hey guys, looking to replace my alternator in the next few weeks. How can I verify if I have the 105A or 145A? I thought I once saw the amps stamped on the alternator? Now, I went out and checked it just says Delphi Automotive systems blah blah. Ran my VIN on AC Delco.com and it lists both for my truck? Also, any of you guys have any experience with Goodyear Poly-V Gatorback serpentine belts???

Thanks again for all the advice!

7. dieselss

I think only way to tell between all the options would be the regulator. If I remember there's like 2 that will fit, and 2 that won't its kinda a pita,,,you want the big one but can't b/c the reg plugs are diff

8. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

When you say all the options...do you mean brands? I plan on putting a DelcoRemy from Advance Auto or get an OEM one from the dealer.

9. dieselss

Sorry meant all the amp ratings I thought there were 3 amp ratings imo I would look at dcpower dot com. Or other places before I would buy from a.a or a.z.

10. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Will do. I've been doing some searches on here lately, and it's very overwhelming with understanding alternators. Seems like too much amps is just as bad as not enough. I assume you are not a fan of anything OEM or Delco related?

Thanks!

11. dieselss

Well to many amps aren't bad when there put out. But when there taken,,that's the too bad. I'm not a fan of auto zone,,,advance auto,,,pep boys ,,,electrics. In a pinch,,sure not long term I actually love OEM stuff....just don't seem right to go back to OEM when aftermarket is so much better. Ok look at your alt for ex. I'm Gunna say that the 145 is close to 300.00. For a little more, you could prob get a 200 or higher that's made better and will past longer then the a.a. junk

12. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Completely agree and understand what you're saying. Advance Auto has a 145A DelcoRemy for $200 brand new, not reman. Between online discount codes and core charge, that price will drop by $30. Not too bad, and DelcoRemy is as close to OEM dealer products. But I will not and cannot buy anything until I fugure what alternator mm and amp is currently installed in my truck.

13. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Just read plow prep package does come with the upgraded 145A.

14. dieselss

I hate to say it,,you prob won't tell unless you take it off and get tested. find the info on the alt itself would be the only way to get the exact info

15. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

I'm probably going to have to. The part numbers on advanceauto.com are not matching the number on delcoremy.com:dizzy:

16. dieselss

They wouldn't anyway. Aa don't use delco alts

17. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

They sell brand new DelcoRemy on their website. And the DelcoRemy part number on aa.com is not matching what DelcoRemy has listed on their website.

18. dieselss

As far as I remember from what i was told it may be parts of delco but not 100% delco like aa contracts out to sell them but they aren't made by delco,,,but there made to delco specs using diff parts

19. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Thank you for the advice. I figured it out. The part numer on aa.com is 91606-WU. On delcoremy.com calls for a 91653. The 91606 is obsolete, and superseded by the 91653. $208 brand new less $12 core charge and 20% online coupon code. Going to call the dealer Monday to check price on a Delphi. I have no problems putting a DelcoRemy over Delphi in the truck.

Did some quick research on DelcoRemy...looks like their corporate office are not too far from you!

20. dieselss

Did you ck. Dcpower dot com or other options ??