1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spare tire carrier

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mpriester, Oct 22, 2012.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Went to check my spare yesterday and when i tried to lower it the tire came down a couple inches and stopped due to the safety catch not releasing. i searched on here for help and most of what i found was you had to hit the latch with a screwdriver but everyone said there is no room above the tire so i decided to share what i did and its actually quite easy. Lowr the spare as far as you can , reach above it and pull the rubber boot off the carrier, take a long screwdriver and push it through a lug hole and push on the safety catch with a little force and keep pressure on it, raise the tire back up slowly while keeping pressure on the safety catch and you will feel the latch push in, when this happens keep the screwdriver in place and lower the spare, it will come down. Once you get the spare off spray it down with rust remover while working the catch back and forth to loosen it back up and grease the crap out of it. This is what worked for me and i wanted to share in hopes it will help someone out with the same trouble. Good Luck and Stay Safe this Winter
  2. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Only takes one bolt to put the whole works on the ground. Alot easier than fighting it under the truck! Thumbs Up
  3. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

This way is much easier and quicker than removing the bolt.
  4. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

good idea, another method i have used several times... a torch, and throw that tire in the bed, or hold it in with a couple crossed ratchet straps. stupid design
  5. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

It will rust off mine fell off going down the interstate going 75 MPH thank God no one was behind me. Now its in the bed
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Gm updated that stupid safety spare tire crank. It changed pt #s like 4 times,,,its now back to the old non safety one just an fyi to everyone
  7. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

My dad got a flat tire once on his 04 and could not get the spare out. I had to bring a tire to him to get the truck home. I ended up welding the lock shut. GM did a terrible job with those locking spare tire holders. I guess it was a anti-theft thing. What loser steals a spare tire?? My 02 does not have the lock and it goes up and down no problem.
  8. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I never thought about welding it shut. I need all my bed space or i'd put it in the bed. Thats a good idea. Thank You
  9. Holland

Holland Senior Member

O i'm not knockin ya, the last few i've done have been so rusted that I couldnt break them loose under the truck. I just found that i like to remove the carrier. Like i said its one bolt and the whole works is on the ground. Good write up though!

Either way, i dont worry about it on my truck, cant have a spare under the truck with a DMI on! haha
  10. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Just got a flat tire 2 weeks ago. Ended up cutting the ear off the swinging bracket to get it down on the side of the road with a saws-all. Sounds like I will weld the ear back on and weld the secondary latch open. GM dropped the ball big time on this one imo. Thanks Moss for the idea.
  11. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

For those of you thinking of welding the lock closed, that creates another problem. You need notch a piece of pipe to get the tire to fit snug against the frame again. I will see if I can get some pics of what I did to dads mount.