Snow Plowing Forum banner

spare tire ballast?? / under bed ballast??

3K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  justme- 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever installed ballast under the bed or in place of the spare tire on their truck? I need the space in the back of my 05 2500hd for my four wheeler w/plow, ramps, shovels, and wings but need about 200-300 more lbs back there. Any suggestions? Does anyone know how much weight the spare tire harness can hold? Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
You may be able to take a junk rim and pour concrete in and around it the size of a tire, but I am not sure the cable would hold that much weight.

#4 ·
I dont want anything hanging under my truck. Flat steel in the bed would be a good choice

#5 ·
The Four Wheeler ain't enough ? ? ? I used to plow with a garden tractor and most times didn't even use the 4 wheel. Maybe you unload them and they work whilst your plowing. In twenty plus years plowing I've never taken ballast other than the essentials ( Sand and or icemelter snow pup and a couple shovels

#6 ·
Another vote for flat steel. Getting ready to do that on our singlecab this week. Tired of messing with sand bags.
Robert

#7 ·
Only problem with the steel, do you need weight or do you need balast to balance out the front end... Large peace of steel will add weight, but some of that weight would be added to the front end, which in most cases is what we don't want. Only hinge I could think of is to get like a bunch of 1 inch plate steel cut to fit from behind the rear axe. Possibly do 3 or 4 of hem stacked up, then do ply wood with 2x 4 under it, to even out the deck height

#8 · (Edited)
elite1msmith;1115071 said:
Only problem with the steel, do you need weight or do you need balast to balance out the front end... Large peace of steel will add weight, but some of that weight would be added to the front end, which in most cases is what we don't want. Only hinge I could think of is to get like a bunch of 1 inch plate steel cut to fit from behind the rear axe. Possibly do 3 or 4 of hem stacked up, then do ply wood with 2x 4 under it, to even out the deck height
that's what we do. throw a bunch of steel in the back and then throw a piece of 4x8 plywood over the top of it for a flat surface. problem solved:salute:

I know if you do the concrete thing in the spare tire holder I sure don't want to be the guy behind you when the cable breaks!:dizzy:

#9 ·
Qusetion, do you only place the steel behind the Axel? And then e ply over the top of it?

#11 ·
I had thought about making something that would sold into the hitch from the back side. Never got around to it

#12 ·
A friend did what elite said, Its awesome. It is about 6"x10" tube about 4' long, I believe 3/8 or 1/2 wall. The welded a soilid 2 1/2 inch reciever to it. Then he cappeed the ends & filled with stone. He uses two rachet staps (one per end) to keep it from rattling.

#15 ·
only problem is if you put enough you max out your hitch capacity and then you cant pull if needed

almost need the weight to bolt dirrectly to the frame of the truck

#16 ·
I found several 2"x3"x4' solid steel bars at my local junk yard. I made a wooden frame for nine 80lb bars. This keeps them up tight against the tailgate. I still have a very usable pickup space as these bars only stick up two inches. I have a cap on the back of my truck. I need the rear of the truck year-round for dry contained space. Hope this may help

RPK

#19 ·
4x4Farmer;1115085 said:
that's what we do. throw a bunch of steel in the back and then throw a piece of 4x8 plywood over the top of it for a flat surface. problem solved:salute

I know if you do the concrete thing in the spare tire holder I sure don't want to be the guy behind you when the cable breaks!:dizzy:
Speaking of the cable breaking.....i had a perfect unused spare hanging under my bed last week. i looked under my truck yesterday after seeing this thread and pondering the idea......my spare is no longer there!:eek::eek: i hope it feel off on a dirt road and not route 95. shiattt now i gota find a spare. and a new cable:dizzy:

#20 ·
Those damned cables never seem to work right. I think that you could use the space where the spair tire hangs, make your weight the size of a tire and mount it up with extra steel/straps/whatever. Just don't trust the cable, or even use it for that matter!

#22 ·
When I used to back to back as a kid, if we were going to a party at a house that was common for back to backs, my buddies and I would put my secret weapon on my truck.

I would take a sh*tty spare, cut a hole in the top of the tire, mix up some motar (sand) mix on the wet side, and pour it in there till she was full. Then let it harden, when it is hard, i would have to put it on a floor jack and lift it up to the bed. I then lifted the rubber mat in my bed where I had holes that I dropped caridge bolts through the bed and put the nuts on the bottom holding the tire up to the bed. I don't know what it weight, but when I was 16 it seemed like a sh*t ton. I am sure now that if you want me to, I can do the math and figure out exactly what it weighed.

Those of you that have ever back to backed, you know that a little weight and alot of brakes is all it takes to win. (That is why you wire your brake lites to a toggle switch) :eek: :D

#23 ·
I use plastic (rubbermaid) totes strapped into the rear corners of the bed against the tailgate to hold my sand/salt and act as ballast (remember ballast must be behind the rear axle or it's not ballast).
I use 2 totes, one in each corner and get 150-200lbs of sand in each.

If you choose the tote carefully you should be able to use waster space and not impede the 4wheeler.

Behind the rear axle the weight counters the weight on the front axle.
Over the rear axle is has no (useful) effect on the weight on the front axle
In front of the rear axle is ADDS to the weight on the front axle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.