1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spare Solenoid?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by vintage steel, Jan 15, 2012.

1. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I just lost the solenoid on my plow truck. It wasn't a big deal, I wasn't plowing at the time. I just used my jumper cables to bypass the solenoid so I could lift the plow and drove home.

My question is:
    Does this happen often? should I buy 2 new solenoids tomorrow so I have a spare? Or, is it fairly rare?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Next to poorly maintained electrical connections they're the #2 cause of breakdowns. So yes the average run of the mill relays die quite frequently. There are better ones out there for reliability upgrade though. Search "Trombetta".

3. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

Excellent advice, thank you.
    I think I'll buy a solenoid off the shelf tomorrow, then, get an upgraded one. Swap them out and keep the cheapie as a spare.
    Do you know of any retailers are Trombetta distributors?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Murcal has about the best online ordering retail price you'll find. It's the same solenoid some guys are charging well over $70 for.

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

B&B recomended a trombetta to me about 2 years ago. It was the best money I ever spent. I was going through a solenoid every time I plowed on one of my trucks. I changed nothing other than upgrading to the trombetta, and I havent changed it since. Much better than the cheap one that come from the factories.

6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

agreed excellent advice

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Whenever I have to replace something I get 2 I have spare motors and spare coils, spare springs, pins and hoses O ya I have a spare tire even though I have not gotten a flat in like 10 years. Ops I have I cary a tire plug kit (my truck has on-board air)

8. shep28

shep28 Member

How did you bypass the solenoid? Pos batt terminal jumped to plow positive on the solenoid?

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

On the old Chevy's we used ,we would mount extra ones on the fender for a quick change over,

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

We still do sometimes. Makes for a quick swap.

11. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

Farmer style. Jumper cable from one side of solenoid to other side of solenoid, (the bigger posts)
    :mechanic: