1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spare parts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by White Oak, Jan 2, 2005.

1. White Oak

White Oak Member

New to business 35 accounts, first storm no problems. I have a Meyer 7"6" 1992 and was wondering what parts to keep on hand for future break downs, right now I have none.

2. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

std kit usually has trip spring, eye bolt, hydro hoses for power angle, one of the pins that hold the plow to the truck, a solenoid is nice, and good ole duct tape. Of course carry the tools needed to repair any of these issues. I am sure there is more stuff jsut can remember

3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I never heard of anyone i know that plows around here looseing a trip spring.....Rob

4. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

the trip spring is in the emergency repair kit, I also never heard of someone losing a trip spring.

otherwise- like suggested- extra hydrolic lines, pins, solenoid

You could keep the 3 coils and a spare motor in the shop incase you break one in the middle of plowing and want to repair it yourself at 3am

5. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I have snapped a couple trip springs in my time.

I also have quick couplers and a spare hose. An extra piece of lift chain and some bolts to anchor it to the A-frame. A couple qts. of plow oil or ATF.

I'm sure we can think of more,
    Mark K

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

some pipe thread tape and silicone sealant.

A miner's light is nice (is what I use)or a light you can set down and point if you have a repair to do as well.

7. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Test light, an assortment of fuses, electrical connections, wire, windshield wipers, a jack that will actually pick up a truck with a plow on it, and if you can get your hands on a repair manual, I would definitely have on of those on hand for both the truck and the plow. This is of course in addition to the other things listed by others here. One last thought that I don't have with me but will next time out is one of those butane touches you get at the hardware store and an extra cylinder of butane. It might help with a frozen plow, brakes, shift linkage, transfer case lever, starter, key lock, etc.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  8. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 Member

One important thing to keep in the truck is an extra quart of hydraulic fluid. An extra set of blade guides is nice to have also. Believe it or not, I have broken three springs in one storm. One spring went, so i let it go because I left the extra spring at the shop. Next thing I know "BANG", my plow is folded over and not going back. The worst part about it, I didnt have any extra springs with me. It was an interesting drive back to the shop for some new springs! :dizzy:

9. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i haven't had one break yet, but i carry since knowing my luck it will happen......i ahve just about anything i need in my toolbox to get my truck moving if something breaks on it....hopefully i won't need to test that statement though

10. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

I'm A believer in: If its made by man it will break.
    In the truck I carry;
    5/8 wrench
    Socket wrench w/sockets
    2 jumbo crescents
    Mapp Gas torch
    1 Quart meyers fluid
    3 pins w/clips
    3 flashlights
    1 pair pliers
    1 fence tool
    1 Super Leatherman tool
    2 pairs of gloves
    1 grease coat
    1 Phone Book
    2 Thermos's of strong coffee
    1 good pillow

At the shop I've Got;
    1 spare ford f350 w/plow,E60 & flink 8' spreader
    4 E60s pumps
    3 meyers blades
    1 complete frame w/bolts
    1 complete wiring harness
    2 key pads
    1 set of Rams
    2 each valves,ie;2 red,2 green, 2 black
    1 strobe light
    1 case Meyers fluid
    12 sets of quick couplings
    And all the tools, [hand, air] I need to to install the above stuff in the middle of the night.

Mark

11. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

A buddy that I plow with broke 2 trip springs last friday, so much for liny rob's opinion

12. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Like Mark I keep at 1 complete spare ready to go. That spare includes 1 F350 with plow hooked up, sander, and full of fuel. also have a spare operator if needed. Also a spare bobcat and dumptruck.

13. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I have 3 spare complete pumps ready to go ( i got them at a good price and i couldnt refuse). Im now looking for a spare blade. So if i break I either switch out the pump or blade. Shouldnt be much more then 20 mins to fix.....Rob