1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spare Parts - What do you stock

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Deere John, Jun 29, 2000.

1. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I just came back from the parts store with some more basics. I stock the basics to keep things running in the event of problems when everyone is closed - fuel filters, U-joints, one set of front pads and rear shoes, one complete set of plow hoses, two springs, pins, clips, headlites and misc. bulbs, one plow shoe and a chev 4x4 front axle actuator.<br> All I really keep on the trucks are hoses, a spring, a spare light, a 12V trouble light, oils and misc tools to do the basics. Oh yeah, hand cleaner and rags. All is kept in a sealed plastic tote.<br> Does anyone stock more or feel the need for something else?<br>John

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

This is why i like to try to run one brand of trucks and plows<p>I stock deep in plow parts<p>For both my fisher and diamond plows<p>I keep battery cables<br>joy sticks <br>spare batterys<br>springs and pins<br>almost every part that fails easly i have stocked in the shop<p>The easyest way to avoid break downs is good maintmance. This involves total plow overhaul, post use checks, pre use quick checks.<p>My plow overhaul is allready started. Every part of the system is checked, paint touched up, worn parts replaced.<p>Post use checks will find a lot of worn or broken parts.<p>Pre use checks find problems before than they can occur. Rather find a problem at the shop than an hour away from the shop.<p>Geoff<br>

3. firedog

firedog Member
    from midwest

I try to stock mostly plow parts.<p>Spare cylinders, cutting egdes, Aframes, hoses, nuts&bolts and pins.<p>I have enough spare parts on hand to fix a plow in the middle of the night.<p>I only stock filters,spare tires and batteries for my equipment.<p>I agree with Geoff its much nicer if you keep standardization in trucks and plows. And you can never do too much PM. I'm big on oil changes, I change engine oil in everything after each plowing. And trans changes twice a year.<p>I also have a maintence truck that keeps tools and parts in so I can fix and repairs in the field.<p>----------<br>Rob S.<br>