1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spare Parts To Carry???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nailerdog, Nov 26, 2006.

1. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

I have an 06 8.5 MVP on an 06 F-350 that installed myself last fall. I used it to plow my own road and a few driveways for friends and family. No issues or problems with the plow last year.

I have an opportunity to sub for a commercial contractor this winter that says my shifts will typically be a minimum of 8 hours and could be as long as I want to go.

What spare parts do you experienced guys carry? I was thinking a spare hose and fluid at a minimum.

Thanks

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

As you stated a hose or two ( most plows use 2 different ones) Hyd fluid,
    trip or wing spring, tools, hose clamps, a few nuts & bolts, radiator stop leak, radiator hose, fan belt, SHOVELS, HY-lift jack, spare head lamp, fusses. flash light or spot light.
    spare pair of soxs, shirt, hat and gloves. and a camera.
    There is more stuff but I would have to go look lol as It's been a few months sense I have needed any of that stuff!! lol

3. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

Thanks SnoFarmer,

I always have a full compliment tools, tug-strap, hi-lift, and lights, Hadn't thought of clothing and cooling system related stuff though.

My spare hose will work for either length. My plow is a trip edge, do they break springs often? My old Fisher springs lasted for 10 years.

4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I do not think you will need a spring for your set up..as trip edges compress the springs. You never know plowing what you will need.. I started carrying a radiator hose and stop leak when I was driving my 74 as my main plow rig. I haven't needed it with the newer trucks.. old habit... lol...

a spar pair of gloves too:D

Some spar dry cloths sure can make a lot of difference some nights if you get wet or sweaty...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  5. MStine315

MStine315 Senior Member

J Thomas sells a repair kit for each type of plow that is in a nice flat case that fits under the seat. It might be worth checking out. Probably more expensive than buying each part, but if nothing else, it'll give you some ideas. I got one last year, but luckily I didn't need it!

6. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

list

list of accts
    list of sub contractors
    list of people to call when you break down...

Spare truck in tow incase of emergency:nono:

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Jumper cables and a couple of cans of starting fluid.

8. concreteman

concreteman Junior Member

20 ft chain, 20ft strap, hose and 2qt of atf hat and coat cell phone and o yea jumpers camera shovels and fusses and a lot of coffee:gunsfiring:

9. MStine315

MStine315 Senior Member

Dry gas, fix a flat