1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spacers or coils?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by hardwoodcd, Jan 19, 2011.

1. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

I am wanting to level out my truck 2" in the front. I want to know your opinion to go with spacer or new coils? I will also be installing new front shocks at the same time. I also was wondering if there is anyone affilitated with the site that I could make my purchase from. Just want to show patronage to those that have helped with all my questions.

2. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  3. DRBLawnBuster

DRBLawnBuster Senior Member

i just put a daystar leveling kit on my 02 dodge ram 2500.what a differnce. it looks so much better leveled out. and it raised it exactly 2 inches. and dropped the rear bumper about 1 inch.

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'd spend the $300 on some super springs. They help carry the weight too rather than bandaid the look.

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Yup, fix the problem instead of just covering it up. :cool:

6. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Nice!!! LOVE mine!

http://www.supersprings.com/supercoils_overview.asp

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't see the difference between longer stiffer springs and some spacers, except the spacers will allow a factory ride year round.

I got my spacers off of ebay for $55 shipped (made by topguncustomz). Look on ebay, they are all over the place.

8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

With factory springs and spacers, you still have same spring rate and deflection when the plow is raised. By adding a stiffer spring, you reduce the deflection, improving the front suspension's ability to carry heavy plows such as the 9.2'-9.5'' Vees and PowerPlows.

9. plowguy43

Ok I get that but the ride suffers for the rest of the year.

10. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

My 06 has the factory 2500 front coils. I have noticed the front end droping more and more to the point the V will actually touches the ground now... Over quick rolling intersections the truck will often bottom out. Super coils are on the list of add ons in the next few weeks. Trust me your coils will get tired and loose much of there spring rating too with anyone running the larger v blades.

11. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

I'm loving all the feedback! I have pretty well decided that it is going to be new coils after the season is over. Still wondering if there is anyone affiliated with the site that I could make my purchace through?

12. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

i put spacers on mine and the trucks basically back to stock now the springs tore through the spacers. and you have a cummins which is a heavy engine sooooo ya get the springs

13. 2robinhood

2robinhood Senior Member

I am not seeing them listed ( if you are looking for springs for a 2006 Ram 2500 ), but maybe a different spring would work.
    I have a 98 Ram 1500 that I installed a plow on.
    I wanted heavier load capacity springs to carry the plow.
    Stock springs are rated at 770 lbs each on the Ram 1550.
    The Dayton HD springs are rated at 1770 lbs each, ( a 1,000 lbs more per spring ).
    The are the same as stock springs in height, just heavier coils and will fit right into stock spring perch/mounts.
    I measure before and after the install and they raised the front of my Ram 1500 up 1 3/4 inches.
    They absolutely carry the plow with no problem at all and I feel the truck even rides better/smoother.
    I bought mine from JC whitney on E-bay and got them to the door for $115.00 for the pair.
    If you do some homework and can figure if another spring will fit, you might get the raise you are looking for and get a higher load capacity too boot.
    Here is a list of some spring applications.

http://www.stengelbros.com/SuperDutyCoilSprings.htm

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  14. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Adding a spacer is still the same spring and spring rate. To improve a vehicles ride, we need to change the spring rate. Changing the rate means adding or subtracting individual winds in a coil spring. If one is after a suspension change that involves an overall lengthening of the spring assembly, in our case the stock coil AND a spacer, AND you were after an improvement in ride as well, you would want to ADD coils to change the spring rate, in lieu of the spacer.

You still get the lift you were after with the spacer, it's just that this particular 'spacer' is 3 more coils added to the overall length of the spring you started with, thus netting you a better spring RATE (more overall coils) and a better ride.

Now having stated this, here is the disclaimer: SuperCoils SSC-23 don't really give a darn about the ride of your truck. This is a load carrying coil, period. The tool we carry on the front of our trucks is a load and we need to prep our trucks to haul it around, or it will become useless. Iv'e never seen a snow plow clear a lot by itself.

SSC-22 has 90 pounds more capacity than a stock Dodge 2500/3500 spring at the same height as the mighty SSC-23.

http://www.supersprings.com/supercoils_fitchart.asp

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  15. plowguy43

My point is that a spacer will raise the front by 2" and keeping the factory ride. It won't carry more load then factory but will be 2" higher than factory.

16. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

Hey proseasons, Can I assume that you have the scc-23? And will the ssc22 give me a comparable ride to stock and raise the front end up to level the truck out. And should also be about 2 more inches of clearence when the plow is on? Assuming that you do have the scc23 what are your arguments for or against it? Arguments for or against the scc22? Thanks, Casey

17. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

A set of SuperCoils will raise your front end 2 1/2 inches AND CARRY MORE WEIGHT than the factory springs.

But I do think you should stick with a simple spacer set up.

18. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Yes, I do have the SSC-23's on my truck. And I have no idea how the SSC-22's perform. Only a crazy person would buy SSC-22's to put under a Cummins diesel engine.

The darn thing is 1000 pounds dry sitting on a pallet by itself, let alone the weight of the front end of a truck, a driver, tools, fuel and, oh yeah, a snow plow.

19. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

nuf said! thanks!

20. plowguy43

The OP's original question was about leveling his truck, nothing about carrying more. Spacers will do that just fine. The stock coils also handle plows and cummins engines fine, a 2" spacer will still carry a plow 2" higher than stock without a coil. Does it increase capacity? No, does it change the ride, no which is all my point. For some reason guys think that putting spacers are stupid and a "band aid" where the guys like myself who use spacers simply don't care for the ride of a stiffer spring the remaining 9 months of the year when driving my truck. And for the 3 months that the plow is on my truck for a fraction of the time, the spacer and stock springs hold the weight just fine.