1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spacer blocks seem to be the only difference

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by fredhedd, Mar 26, 2005.

1. fredhedd

fredhedd Member

i have been trying to find the difference in the 2005 f250 and f350. i am sure this topic has been covered many different places on many different forums. i keep finding contradicting information. i just went outside and counted all of the leaf springs on the both trucks. they are the same. the spacer blocks are two inches different. i read somehwere that they are different so legally the truck can be considered a one ton truck, instead of a three quarter truck. is this the only difference? if someone knows where this topic is covered in detail, please let me know. i'm having a hard time finding all of the correct information on the web.

i tried to delete this post but i dont know how. i just found the thread containing all of the info on this. it's ridiculous that hte only difference are tires and spacer blocks. i am taking the money that i would have spent on an f350 instead of an f250 (about eight hundred dolllars) and i'm taking the truck to a spring shop to have the extra leaf springs that everyone was telling me that were on the f350 added to my f250. i'm ordering those four inch blocks. i'm going to ask the guy at the coil shop about timbrens. i've got a big salter and utility body to accomodate. still taking suggestions though, since i only half know what i'm talking about.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  2. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

In addition to the springs, there is a difference in the weight ratings from Ford. This may or may not matter for your application. Depends whether you'll be hauling or towing. You'll spend the difference and more at the spring shop.

3. fredhedd

fredhedd Member

i will be hauling, mostly. i will be towing less frequently. what do you mean by saying i will be spending the difference and more at the spring shop? the plan is to make the suspension tougher than the stock f250 and f350 are stock. i have a price already of eight hundred dollars for two additional springs in the rear and one additional in the front. i just looked though and i don't see any leaf springs in the front. i'm sure something can be done though, if necessary.

what does it matter if there is a difference in the weight ratings from ford? this is just a rating based on the different blocks and tire sizes. what kind of application would this actually matter for?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  4. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Buy the 350. Get both the plow and camper packages which give you the maximum springs. See how it handles your applications, then go to the spring shop if it isn't handling the load. Remember that most states require you to plate the truck for the max load you will haul.

I added a single leaf to my 350 all the way around and it comfortably hauls 3K of load (11,700# on the scale loaded and fitted out)

Up front you can only swap for a different coil spring, add timbrens, or install airbags. I think there is also a spacer block insert, but I'm not sure.

It was easier to do this before Ford swapped for the coil springs, but they afford a tighter turning radius and better ride.

5. fredhedd

fredhedd Member

it says in the manual that the f350 max payload is already at 4400 lbs. is this the bed weight? what did you mean by saying you can now comfortably haul 3k ?

if i get the 350 and it doesnt work, i'm still going to the spring shop. if i go to the spring shop first, i know i'm covered. i could go either way though, so keep the comments coming.

6. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

The truck rides level loaded. We generally only load 3000 lbs so as to not overdo things.

You can always go to the spring shop. Better approach is to see how it handles your application then see if mods are needed.

Of you know you are going to throw a huge load in there, ie v-box or dump insert, then go to the spring shop.

7. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

I just saw the other thread about your plans. Follow the advice given there.

8. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

The 05 F350 has a 10k legal GVW,and with the plow prep,the front coils are rated at 6000lbs.Unless your hanging a 12ft highway plow on the front your stock front susp. is more then enough.[my 04s have plow prep and 9ft fishers and the front doesn't drop at all]

9. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

didn't the 3/4 ton come a with the D50 front axle also?