1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SP-6000 vs SHPE 1000

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dieselboy01, Jan 10, 2014.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I will be upgrading to a v box next year. I'm looking at a one yarder and I'm torn between the SnowEx SP-6000 and the Salt Dogg SHPE 1000. If anyone has any good or bad news about the two I'd like to hear it.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Why buy a vbox that small? I'd look at a 1500 or 2000

3. dieselboy01

Its going in a 3/4 short box. With the accounts I have now I don't need more then that, but if I get more or a bigger account I will have to go bigger. A lot depends on what kind and size of accounts I get for next season, I'm just trying to get things figured out now so I know what to buy for next year.

4. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Don't buy twice. I have a 2 yard in a 3/4 box. Fits with no issues.

You don't save that much money with a one yard. You can always put one yard in a 2 yard. But you can't put two in a one

5. dieselboy01

You are correct, Maybe I'll start looking at 2 yarders. This way I do buy once.

I guess it comes down do what make I should go with.

I like the thought of all poly like the Salt Doggs and any metal on them is stainless. The prices don't seem that bad, but I have heard they have some issues.

SnowEx stuff looks good, but they have a steel frame and replacement parts ane not cheap.

Western, Fisher, Boss, etc are conveyor fed and I'm not sure I like that, Seems like more to go wrong with more moving parts.

6. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I'm trying to decide if the price increase is worth it for the 2250 vs 2000. They have several upgrades

Poly casters aren't bad they're all wireless now

7. dieselboy01

Are the Poly casters is made by Fisher?

8. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

best v-box hands down - Western tornado - and the new boss V-box all others are ****... electric wise...

gas motors they are pretty much all the same... same thing with hydro...

9. mike ward

mike ward Member

i have 4-5 of the buyers V boxes and we like them especially larger full auger 8' pickup model. no issues and they spread great!

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Western blizzard and fisher are identical made by Douglas dynamics.

Boss is new. And very expensive for what it is.

11. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

The only things I don't like about my salt dogg is how far back the weight is in the box and the auger isn't full length. If you look at some of the traditional v boxes the weight can be evenly distributed more than in the salt dogg because they are more flat on the bottom where the dogg has a big ramp in the front pusing the majority of the salt to the back same design as snow ex. The auger isn't long enough to pull the salt evenly and you end up with a lot left in the front of the salted and none at the back.

12. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I would always oversize. If your looking at a 6000 purchase an 8500 instead. So much better of a salter - and yes I have and run both of them.

13. dieselboy01

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I am going to get a spreader a little bigger then I think I need. I'm still on the fence about what make.

Boss is out, they only make an 8' spreader and this is going in a short bed.

I have to get into some tight areas and the Western, Blizzard, Fisher seem taller then my cab. (I know I have side mirrors and I use them too)

14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

It'll fit

They all say 2 yards don't fit but they will

15. dieselboy01

I guess it boils down to what brand then.

16. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Depends on what you want to pay more than anything. Saltdoggs 2 yards are 3300. 2.25 is around 4 I believe

All the other ones are 5-8

17. dieselboy01

I've been doing a lot of reading and searching today and it sounds like the Western/Fisher spreaders are a crowd favorite.

Salt Doggs seem to have controller problems, "cheap" plug and motor issues, jamming problems, and strange spread patterns.

No one has much to say about SnowEx other than they are pricey and parts are not cheap.

$3300 for a spreader sounds great in my book, but If they have issues, and people turn to after market motors and wiring harness to make them work or work better would I be money ahead spending another $1700?