1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Southerner Needs Help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by trebordollars, Oct 31, 2006.

1. trebordollars

trebordollars Junior Member

We have a pavement maintenance company in east-central Mississippi and one of our out of state clients has asked that we provide them with a contract to spread salt in the case of snow or ice. They way I see it the chances of snow/ice happening in any given year are about 1 in 5.

Since we need to be prepared for this business but want to do so in the most economical way possible can someone help with the following questions:

(The property to be serviced is about a 2 acre retail site):

1. What is the lowest cost way to spread salt? Can I just use a commercial grade walk behind salt spreader?
    2. Where can I buy rock salt? I assume a feed and seed store?
    3. How much salt is needed per acre assuming 1/2 inch to 2.5 inches of snow? Is 1/2 ton per acre?
    4. Should I buy tire chains for my truck? If so, is any type/brand better than another?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

1. Yes. Get a broadcast spreader (I think that's what it's called - one with a spinner)
    2 Yes
    3. About half that, the sun will take care of it quickly in that area
    4. No. Any good M&S (Mud and Snow) tire should be plenty for that area. Remember the adage - "You get what you pay for" - applies to new tires, too. I'd actually use All Season radials for central Mississippi unless you've got some steep hills that I never saw there. Just slow down and use common sense.