1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Southern RI Guy Looking For A Dealer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Thor78, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Thor78

Thor78 Member

Hello,
    Just joined and am new to this. We are buying a new truck this spring and we are going to put a plow on it, looking at SS and liked Fisher & Meyer so far. Most likely a GMC 2500 but nothing is set in stone yet. We will be mainly using it to plow small roads in a leased land community and also friends & family but would not rule out some small accounts. That being said, I am trying to do as much homework as i can about this to make a educated decision. I am basically wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good dealer. By good I mean honest, fair, and one who will treat the little guy just as good as the big guy. Also if anyone knows dealers to stay away from as that would be helpful too. Thank in advance! Thor

2. Ben's Landscape

Ben's Landscape Junior Member

Hey fellow Rhode Islander! :waving: Ok i will be honest i am not on this site much i am mainly on lawnsite. And i will be honest i only do a couple of drivew with a snow blower. I do believe that Cap City in Warwick is a Fisher dealer. They are right on Post Road right after New England Tech. I have been in there a couple of times looking at caps(my dad wants on and bought one from there) they seem to be good people to talk and deal with. Hope this helps. Good Luck! I can check but i think there is a dealer for buyers in Warwick also(i will check i know a friend that just went to one just forgot the name)

3. Thor78

Thor78 Member

Hey, how's it going? I figured there wouldn't be too many of us in here lol. Yea, I was looking at Cap City & Dejana. Basically if anyone could recommend one over another. Not too familiar with the ones in CT & Mass but would be willing to check them out if they weren't too far. I still have a couple months before we pull the trigger so I'll have to check some of them out. There is a Snow Dogg dealer right at the end of my road but I was a little iffy on those. The Fisher, Western, & Meyer looked nicer. And I didn't see a SS on the Western site. Thanks for your input.

4. Ben's Landscape

Eh its going my first year doing snow removal. I didnt think there would be many on here either! LOL. Off topic are you a landscaper? If so check out lawnsite. I am on there and use the same name so you can check out my pics. Not a problem. I passed cap city today and they had a meyer sign out also not sure if you knew they had them too. If you need parts (i dont know if you do) but for future reference napa in appanauge (warwick location) custom makes hydro lines for plows and sells parts. I looked at the SS fisher plows and i think when i get a plow i will be getting one. Right now im doing like 10 drives with a ariens 24 in 8hp snow blower.

5. Thor78

Thor78 Member

Had to put off buying the new truck till spring so next year will be our first for snow. No, I'm not a landscaper, but the business is seasonal. It's a leased land summer community. I actually found out that Napa did hoses shortly after one went on our Komatsu WA and had already bought & installed it from CN Wood. Probably would've cost half as much :realmad: Also just got a new JD 5083 & have had a 52" Gravely so I will be going to Napa first from now on for hoses. I really like the SS Fisher too, but I do wish they made the HD in SS because thats all I really need, The X Blade looks like a bit overkill. The Meyer LP SS looks more like what I need but it's a full trip. Not sure which is better.....I'll have to check out your pics!

6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Why only a stainless steel? Have you ever looked at a poly blade before. Full trip is as good as trip edge. I would also look at a Boss plow if you have not already. They make both full trip and trip edge plows. A good dealer is more important than the brand.

7. Thor78

Thor78 Member

I really like the way SS looks, but more importantly is maintenance. The shop & property is right on the ocean. The salt air wreaks havoc on all of our equipment down there. Mix salt air & spray with the snow and I thought that would be a bad combo for reg steel. Not that that's all we will be plowing but it is alot of it. I did look at poly, but more people than not said they wouldn't use it because it was alot weaker and prone to cracking. Can't patch and/or weld it so you need to replace it. (just what I have heard/read) I did look into Boss, but the other dealers were alot closer. Thanks for the input, I'm open to suggestions.

8. Ben's Landscape

HAHAHA Yeah i bet it would have cost a lot less going to Napa. Oh no kidding sounds like a funn seasonal job! I honestly enjoy doing snow removal and just started it because i wanted to keep and attract new costumers instead of loosing them because of a business that was full service. My uncle in Mass. runs the 8 ft fisher HD plows and he likes them a lot. his are like 3-4 seasons old(he is a landscaper with quite a few drives) and the plows are not rusting at all(just the edge) and look brand new but he takes care of it. So if you could deal with the reg plows then i know they wont rust up in a couple of years. Just my thought but i want to make sure that i am really good at plowing because i would hate hitting something and messing up the stainless plows you know? i think that i like the fisher trip edge vs. the full trip. Im sure there is something somewhere on this site were it discuses all the benifits of each. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

9. Thor78

Thor78 Member

I hear ya on the full service. I know alot of people that look for that and like it. Took me a bit to find your pics as it wouldn't let me search because I'm not a member, but I found them. Nice equipment, my buddy won't use anything but Stihl and we run those 2stroke lawn boys. I love them, they go through anything without skipping a beat. As for plowing, first it's kind of a safety thing. With 377 cottages + our buildings, if anything were to happen in the winter, emergency vehicles will not go in there if it's not plowed. Plus makes it alot easier for us to get around. Second, all of our income comes in once a year (June) and then we have to make it stretch. Would be nice once I get some practice to possibly make a little money in the off season. Third would be family & friends, my sis has a pretty big driveway..... We already have trucks so I thought it was a no brainer. I've read some treads on trip edge vs full and it seems to be 50/50. More of a preference thing. Since I have never done it, I have no preference lol, so was relying on what other people seem to think.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  10. Ben's Landscape

Thanks did you happen to look through all the pics? I loved that stihl trimmer but now i like the redmax mainly because i started using their back pack blowers and liked them so much. I actually just sold the lawnboy in December. i loved the mower also but i knew that it would be wiser for me to switch to a 4 stroke mower(i got the toro commercial 21 with a honda) because then i would not be carrying around a gas, 50:1 and 32:1 can with me everyday. Sorry i know this has no pertain to plowing. Wow thats crazy the amount of cottages! do you mind me asking where abouts in RI you are from? I have a friend that lives in one of those types of cottage areas and when i drive my truck in there it takes up the whole two lane road :laughing: Yeah once you have a plow everyone wants to be your best friend :laughing::laughing: I found that out just with my snowblower. Just for simplicity and my whole family always ran the fisher plows i would just go for the trip edge. Honestly if i went and got a truck for plowing it would be like me to buy a early 90's truck just because i like the look of the big A frame for the plow on it! HAHAHA Im not your typical 18 yr old hahaha

11. Thor78

Thor78 Member

I think I saw them all, unless there were some on a different thread. As for the friends, we won't be accepting any new ones, we'll just plow the ones we have now :laughing: Well I live in North Kingstown, but the business is in Matunuck. Roy Carpenter's Beach, DBA Matunuck Beach Properties Inc. For the most part, I like the look of the older trucks too. But we are lucky to get 10 years out of them in that enviornment. Without alot of work that is. Its a shame too because the truck we are replacing is a 2000 Chevy 2500 & only has 60k on it. It's the rest of it that's falling apart.

12. Ben's Landscape

No kiddin! I got a couple of friends that live down in NK. Im from warwick thats how i know about napa and cap city. Ive also been down at Roy Carpenter's before its a really nice quite place. I tend to go down to Charlestown Beach a lot and i camp at the Breachway a lot.

No there wasnt any other pics just what was in that thread. As you can tell i like the toro and redmax a lot. amazing how the biz has grown as you go through the pics huh?

Just watch out for the friends that pop out when they see you plowing their naihbors :laughing:

Yeah the older trucks i personally like how they look like real trucks that you can use to work and they just to me look tougher. Thats crazy how the chevy has low miliage and is falling apart. If i had a shop and the extra money i would pick that up and go through it! But yeah its not common for any older truck in New England to last a long time plowing before it rots away unless its a personal truck and they only do their drives/biz etc. Very few trucks that plow a lot do i see and others do also last a long time out there.

13. stg454

stg454 Senior Member

Here are a few other dealers in the RI area. You can go to Wright Trailer in Seekonk, MA. They are a Fisher Dealer on Rt 6. Or you can try Place Motors in Webster, MA another Fisher dealer. I know they are a little farther away but good to work with.

14. Thor78

Thor78 Member

I'll have to look into them as well, thanks.

15. Ben's Landscape

You ready for this massive storm were getting? Latest 12-17 inches! should be fun with a snowblower

16. Thor78

Thor78 Member

I know, tell me about it. You got one up on me tho. All I have is me and a $10 shovel from walmart lol. My 13yr old son will be at his dad's, so I'm riding solo this time. Should be fun!

17. Ben's Landscape

bout time to buy a snow blower! hahaha wow i feel bad for you shoveling all that! I am going to have my brother with me to shovel the walks then i can just snow blow the drives. Just checked the weather channel all they are saying 1-2'+ haha nice test for my new to me snow blower!

18. Thor78

Thor78 Member

It's ok, I could use the exercise lol. Good luck with your new blower, this should be a nice break-in for it.

19. Ben's Landscape

Thanks! it will be nice to see what it can do! I used it in the last bigger storm we had and honestly i can not see having any bigger of a snow blower for what i do. Its a 3 yr old (bought from my uncle he only used it on his own driveway and a couple of walks it has like no use) and i got it for 600 dollars(1200 new) its a 8hp 24 in cut Ariens great machine i would not hesitate to buy anouther so i would look at this if snowblowing is an option for you.

20. Kavu

Kavu Member

Check out Onsite repair in Central Falls. They sell Boss and Fisher and are open durning storms.